GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Metaphorically clapping my hands andjumping round the room What brilliant news Congratulations Aran Love the video MARY and good to see you posting Hope to be at Glaslyn in person later today
  • Update from Glaslyn:
    Aran has sent a fish to Mrs G for the first time since injured his wing! At 07:35 this morning, he landed with a small brown trout, and welcomed greatly by Mrs G. It appears that another osprey has been followed because both mantellu and look up as it landed. Very soon Mrs G ate her breakfast, and she was sure she wasn't willing to share!
    If you have read our latest blog, you will know that this is a significant step in Aran's recovery: www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/.../
  • Wonderful news, Korky--thanks. Great to hear that Aran has progressed still more and I hope he continues to bring fish for Mrs G--this major step is what everyone at Glaslyn has been hoping for. We visited over the weekend, day off today and we will be back there again tomorrow. Had great views, lovely chat and good weather.

Edit:  Just read the previous page--huge thanks, too, to Mike (yup, shouting is very much justified for this good news!), and to Sandra for the pic and Mary for the video.

Patily, Any chance you will visit Glaslyn on Tuesday, too?  Would love to meet you--we'll be there all day.

Kind regards, Ann

• MaryGK said:
    Here is a video of the momentous event, SCYLLA will back it up with one of her super-duper ones later. 

You are toooo generous, MARY, as always.  I've just had to break off from doing it, due to one o' my turns Upside down

So I came here to check the situation and see that you had it covered.  I will post one later with a question attached.  Thank you, Mary

IMAGICAT

• I don't think my video adds anything to the fish delivery, but here's MARY's again, to keep it on one page:

MaryGK said:
    Here is a video of the momentous event

MrsG stayed on the nest (like she's been doing a lot lately) and was called upon to defend hours later, but I don't know who did what:

Late lunchtime (?) MrsG was on the nest again with a whole fish!  The in/out zooming cam and changes in the light have driven me crazy so I'm posting a vid because I can't get a good snap of the whole of MrsG clearly showing the whole fish:

She took itto a distant tree:

Later, Aran brought in a stick but MrsG thought it was a fish - I had thought she'd rushed in to join him in defence but no:

A good stick, I don't think Aran's been doing much of this either:

They stayed on the nest together for a while, then Aran decided he'd had enought of MrsNag and chose some sheep for company:

I insist on being awarded a gold medal for this - getting the snap, I mean - there was this Nuthatch and one or two other little birds flitting around so fast I couldn't tell how many...

... and MrsG flew in to defend - surely not -vs- the little birds? but I couldn't see anyone else.  It seemed to change to fish-calling, but then Aran flew in from his distant tree, were they defending?  He flew off and MrsG stayed, he returned:

And flew again:

The cam went on a tour, leaving MrsG on the nest - when it returned it was ENS.

Aran appeared on a cam that's not being streamed (Heather reported) with a full crop.

IMAGICAT

• 29 June

MrsG on nest calling.

IMAGICAT

• It sounds like Ravens being a real pain but I can't see them and I need to go now.

IMAGICAT

• I have been watching Mrs G on the side of the nest calling to Aran for fish.

Yesterday I was at Glaslyn myself. I didn't see Aran and I only saw Mrs G on the monitor but it was just wonderful being in the area. A friend with me suggested it was like meeting a(human) celebrity......but it was far, far better than that. After major logistical planning I was here, in the territory of dearest Mrs G, and Aran.

Then, the icing on the cake. With heartfelt thanks to a wonderful volunteer called Gail I was able to see the nest at Port Croesor. You can see the nest and the shapes of the birds with the naked eye but, WOW! looking through the telescope, aided by Gail  I saw 014 and Glesni and Monty's son Z2/Aeron as close as if they were right in front of me..He was standing like a regal sentinel on the perch at the side of the nest and his mate was on the nest. I did not see what they think is a single chick but suddenly 014 took off for quite a long break.When she came back she did not land on the nest but on the perch next  to Aeron I watched for an age but. very relunctantly n the end I had to make the difficult decision to tear myself away.

All the volunteers were so kind and helpful and very knowlegable and we learnt a little about the area. We could just make out Snowdon in the distance, blurred by cloud but Mt Aran was very clear in front of it. To the right is Mt.Cnicht which evidently is the Welsh interpretation of Old English knight when the k was pronounced. The mountain is supposed to look a knight's helmet,  All together aglorious visit. I don't know whether I'll be able to go again but I can revisit as often as I like in what is such a wonderful and moving memory.

Port Croesor from the monitor

C BGGW

Mt Cnicht

• Morning Patily,

What a wonderful experience you had yesterday! The description of your visit was fantastic to read. I hope you continue to enjoy your time in Wales - so pleased that you've managed to get there at last! Smiley

• Thank you SANDRA It was fantastic Off to Dyfi today So exciting!