GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Well, that's a bother.  Use rich formatting isn't working.  Just had a lovely close up of a charming nuthatch 16.47

"Page not found"??

Ahh!  I've been logged out!  Here we are.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Just had a lovely close up of a charming nuthatch 16.47

Thank you Sheila - you've reminded me that I did a video but I think it was from this morning - come to think of it, I'd decided not to post it because I've been rather spammy with the dear birdies, but let's face it they've been the most co-operative we've had for days 'n days Stuck out tongue winking eye

Here it is anyway:

I haven't done any more Glaslyn today and now have to pack up for a while, I'll make an effort later.

IMAGICAT

• SheilaFE said:
    Just had a lovely close up of a charming nuthatch 16.47

The only sight all day that compelled a video was...

IMAGICAT

• Nuthatch on perch again 0813.
    Grabbed a capture for you MC but then I found the video!
  • When I first saw the nuthatch live a few days ago I couldn't understand where the food had come from. Was Glaslyn sneaking up somehow and putting bits in the cracks? Possibly peanuts? Then a poster on Chat said it was taking 'cached' food. It had been storing it! Amazing.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    a poster on Chat said it was taking 'cached' food. It had been storing it! Amazing.

And it's using the perch cracks as a tool - two tools: a crack as a vice to hold the seed, and the perch surface as an anvil to hammer on with its beak Astonished Hugging 

I don't know if it has a stash or if it's collecting the pine cone seeds "on demand".

IMAGICAT

• Wonderful Nuthatch videos, great to view on a cold wet November day like wot's its like 'ere. Thanks Scylla
  • Cam went down a bit after 08:30, I picked up NEW LINK @ 10:00-ish.  Heather said: "...the encoder froze. Hasn't happened for a while. It may have lost connection with the breeze".  I didn't know the encoder was connected to the breeze Stuck out tongue winking eye 

No Nuthatch today, yet, nor anyone else.

IMAGICAT

• Regarding Nuthatches caching food, about 30 years ago Mr GB built a bird table, and after it was put up I watched our visiting Nuthatch (or possibly both of a pair) driving Sunflower seeds from our bird feeders into the crack along the peak of the roof. It spent some time off and on for many days (it was a long time ago and I never tried to make a serious count of how many days!). It (or they) kept at it until the entire roof peak was tightly packed with Sunflower seeds!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    the entire roof peak was tightly packed with Sunflower seeds!

Smiley

Fascinating!  Thanks for the "story", GB Blush

06 November

A bird !!! !!! !!!  And quite a big one, too:

Something going on involving a doggie ;)

After that, just the train and some landscapes spoiled by the weather, which included some showers on the cam.

IMAGICAT