GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• At about 16.50, possibly having finished his fish, Aran flew off, and the cam returned to the nest.
    The cam then had a look at the old oak tree, thru the coniferous tree, but Aran wasn't there, so back to the nest
  • SheilaFE said:
    At about 16.50, possibly having finished his fish, Aran flew off, and the cam returned to the nest.
    The cam then had a look at the old oak tree, thru the coniferous tree, but Aran wasn't there, so back to the nest

Exactly:

• Just for the record!  I gather that the Bund camera (?) is not being used at the moment, and there began an exchange about which tree could be seen from which cam - all a bit of a blur for me, I lack spacial awareness I think!  I need to see and understand!  But this might be useful in future, particularly is Heather does do her 'tours' later in the winter.

17:17  Gail Edgley  ​Brilliant you found this tree with the nest PTZ Heather!

'This tree' is where Aran was recently spotted eating his fish.

17:21  Heather Corfield  ​I thought I saw Mrs G on an inner tree early season and she didn't stay there for more than a few seconds and I followed her before I preset it.  When I went back I was not sure which tree it was.

17:23  Heather Corfield  ​I preset three places I thought it might be but no Osprey ever went there. Now I realise they were all the wrong trees and I had completely misjudged where the A498 tree was.

17:24  Heather Corfield  ​I did not realise she was on the A498 tree at the time, it was by chance I found her on it in the first place. It was before any eggs were laid.

17:28 Gail Edgley​  I can see why it easily was confusing and the amount seen of the tree doesn't indicate how tall it is!

17:32   Heather Corfield  It is through a gap in some branches too, which made it difficult to spot. Still amazed that we have never picked it up before, although I would never have thought to look there for it.

• SheilaFE said:
    which tree could be seen from which cam - all a bit of a blur for me

I can't torment my little head with it, SHEILA.

• But thank you for what may be the last sighting of Aran Scylla
  • Thank you Mike, but just to prove I was on the ball earlier, and not failing in my duty!!  I posted on the wrong thread - and Scylla failed to notice, tut tut!!  It was on Poole!!

I think there must have been another problem with the cam this morning.  I opened the link around 9.00 - nothing had been seen or reported - but when I went back to the tab the cam was dead!  Thanks to YouTube they had a link to a live camera, here.  It resumed about 15 minutes ago, and about five minutest ago (ca 13.20) the cam moved to the dead oak, but I can't see Aran on it!

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• SheilaFE said:
    I posted on the wrong thread - and Scylla failed to notice, tut tut!!  It was on Poole!!

I did notice, SHEILA, when I posted the squirrel - but I knew that messaging you would be a waste of time because we don't get notified, and for some silly reason I felt uncomfortable about pointing out the error publicly - I comforted myself in the knowledge that you'd soon notice when you went back into Glaslyn.  I know I'm daft sometimes.

Apparently there's been a fire during the evening, if it was on-cam I'll have it and will post it later but I have to pack up now.

EDIT - Girded me loins and scanned thru the download.  The fire (smoke) was first picked up in the same area as I noticed some days ago and Cathy (I think) suggested it might be a train, which I agreed with.  Looks like it's planned burning.  We had one brief spell of colour after dark:

• There have been a lot of Mistle Thrushes flitting around - they're aggressive little devils, shame about the rain-blobbed lens:

All gone now.