GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Just speculation by Heather

15:20   Heather Corfield   It is certainly looking very empty down there. He could be near the estuary if it is cooler though.  It is very hot at the Visitor Centre.

• A Blue Tit got stuck in on the nest - but only for a few seconds:

• Sadly it appears that Aran may have left on Monday

08:22  Heather Corfield  ​Good morning everyone. No sightings of Aran yesterday.  An Osprey was spotted at the cob yesterday evening, but it could have been a bird passing through.

08:23  Heather Corfield  I have checked the early morning recordings and nothing spotted then either.

If he has indeed gone, may he fly safely, both to and from his over winter quarters, and that he returns next season.  It has been such an up and down year, but both he and Mrs G showed us another side of a breeding season.  Their 'devotion' to the nest and each other has been quite touching.  I well remember Aran's arrival, and Mrs G's almost squeal of delight when she first saw him.  The Team has been wonderful in their determination to keep Aran and Mrs G fed and cared for while Aran took time to recover from his mysterious injury.

Here's to next year, and our heart throbbing wait for Mrs G to land on the nest again.  Will she?  Is Aran able to undertake two arduous migrations?  Time will tell.  Many thanks for everyone's coverage, and inputs.  Scylla's amazing scrutiny of anything that moves and her wonderful videos.

• Thank you Sheila for those comments.

Heather has just confirmed that the site will stay leave throughout the 'close' season.

Good news and very well received!
  •  I am relieved that Aran has gone - it means he feels fit enough in himself to undertake the journey, I've been dreading that he would delay longer than usual.

Mike B said:
    Heather has just confirmed that the site will stay leave throughout the 'close' season.

And Chat's going to continue too.

Scuse me for transporting you over here, VALIERIE Grin

• Haha Scylla I never ever mind xx
  • Looks as though Aran is teasing us.  Maybe the osprey seen near the cob yesterday was indeed Aran, just having a break.

14:31   Heather Corfield  Elfyn has just reported seeing an Osprey on the cob that he thinks might be Aran. The wing is noticeable in flight so it could well be him.

14:46 Heather Corfield  I think he did similar last year just before he migrated. We were seeing him around Pont Croesor, but then heading back towards the cob during his last few days with us.
  • 15:11   Heather Corfield  I will give a few tours (of the area with the cam) during the winter when the ospreys are away. There certainly looks to be a chance that Aran is still around. Last I heard was the Osprey was drifting back up the valley.
  • scylla said:
     I am relieved that Aran has gone

Ah well, I can revert to worry mode, which is the most familiar so I'm comfortable Grin