GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Many thanks for the super scenes this morning, Scylla.  As Korky said, very atmospheric in the early light.  Good to see that they have sound again.  I wonder whether the cam went down again after your captures, Scylla.  Chat doesn't start until 10.46, but with the VC's 12.30 post of yesterday about the possibility of the cam going and not coming back, and no sound.  We clearly have sound now, but no vision of any osprey.

11:22  Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​   Mrs is on the oak perch with a fish.

11:27   Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn WildlifeIt   It was Mrs G making the contact call as she landed that was heard.

ENS  The sound of buzzing insects, the distant rumble of noise or traffic and the caw of a raven.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 14:52  Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​   Mrs G ate the fish in just over an hour and left the oak tree.

Aran is now on the A498 tree with a fish.

• Quote:  "Aran is now on the A498 tree with a fish."   I don't know which tree this is, but I don't think this can be it! ...

16.23  an old dead tree, not near a road as far as I know!

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Edit  15.36 he has flown.  Cam looking. No sign, and back to the nest/perch

15.57 a steam train was heard to pass by, but not shown

• Thanks SHEILA At least we know they are both still here
  • The cam did try to zoom on the moving squirrel but lost it altogether, so this is a grainy crop:

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    I think the little bird is some sort of hirundine by its flight pattern - swallow or house martin?

I never would have thought of that - thanks for the idea, KORKY Hugging

There were a couple of Blue Tits foraging on the nest 07:25 but no zoom and they were peripheral - but when I played it I was sorry I didn't have the energy for another vid, as there was sweet tweeting going on, plus caws.  Never mind.

I haven't perceived any buffers or outages while scrolling thru the timelined screencaptures, SHEILA.

Some preening out there, they flew @ 15:36 (I think it was an earlier one you snapped, sorry if I'm duplicating):

Mystery critters, hugely brightened:

Squirrel was back shortly after the earlier visit, another futile attempt to zoom meant it was lost:

I didn't find either of our two residents on-cam afte that long view.  Thank goodness you posted the Chat info, SHEILA Slight smile

No-one on the perch tonight.

IMAGICAT

• 27 August

Both Aran and MrsG on the nest.  I had forgotten to turn on the screen so I'll update this post later, it'll all be there Slight smile 

"Later"

First arrival 05:52 - he stayed 20 minutes and flew off to the right amid lots of cawing:

Then there were some little birdies - this is really-really roughly cut:

(Edit - sorry I left a too-long gap.)

I started doing a video of Aran and MrsG together this morning but it's never-ending and now I'm waiting in case there's a fish (MrsG thought there might be but nothing happened)...

So I'll get something to eat and see what's occurred when I come back.

IMAGICAT

• MrsG and Aran still chilling out together Aran did go for a short fly around

C BGGW

• scylla said:
    I started doing a video of Aran and MrsG together this morning but it's never-ending

It had to end, of course, and this is the result - "poor" MrsG got no fish, but that's quibbling, they're both marvellous.

IMAGICAT

• Z2 is here - Aeron?  Can't remember.

I have to check the number. 

Aran has shooed him off.

IMAGICAT