GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• She was seen early season (end of March) near Ringwood.

Richard B

• Thank you for the reports, RICHARD & ALISON.  Exciting!

Today I lost a lot due to cam outage but recorded some from rollback - here was Aran, then an aeroplane making a big noise.

As reported in the video, Heather noted MrsG clutching a flounder skin resembling a dish-cloth... then the cam went down again @ 01:39.

IMAGICAT

• Heather has got the LS back up
    Link:-www.youtube.com/watch

7:40 AM Heather Corfield
    Good morning everyone. We still have some issues and we may not be able to get them sorted until the network engineer returns from his holiday next week. Please bear with us if the stream closes.
  • New URL

Aran was on the nest at startup less than half an hour ago - he flew soon after:

I recorded that from rollback with Windows "XBox Game Bar", a built-in app that I never knew existed till yesterday so I'm experimenting with it.  It has shortcomings but if you just want to record whole screen it's very convenient.

IMAGICAT

• He's back - not sure how long he's been there, I'm busy researching brinjal pickles - my non-osprey life involves food.

IMAGICAT

• He'd brought a small stick and shifted around some nest material.  Gone again now.

IMAGICAT

• Many thanks for the updates, Scylla.  The cam must have gone down again after your snaps, but returned at 10.20 with the VC reporting

10:20 Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​  Aran is on the A498 tree with a fish, which is why Mrs G was food soliciting when she came to the nest.

10:22 Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​  We still have some technical issues which we may not be able to resolve until the network engineer returns from holiday next week. Please bear with us if the stream goes down.
    10:23   Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​  Also the sound may not be coming through some of the time.  We have it on our PC and in the VC, so it may need readdressing by the network engineer.

Aran is currently on the perch with a fish
    Alison and Richard:  Thank you so much too for the update on 8C.  So fascinating that she has now been seen so many times in Senegal and back in the UK, but clearly has no nest,
    I have her seen in October 2017 in Senegal (July, in the same year, her brother, 9C was seen at Leighton Moss).  They were from the last brood of Orange 11(98)m and Mrs G.  2019 November, she was seen at Somone, Senegal by Pip&Vic Paine and Joanna Dailey!.
    It's brilliant that she has been seen with an unringed ospsrey (but male or female??) on a nest in Poole Harbour.  Could there be two breeding pairs there next year??!!
    © Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife
    Edit:  Aran stopped eating and looked around, ca 12.16, possibly looking for Mrs G.  He then flew off and the cam was looking for him.
    And another update from the VC
    12:30  Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn WildlifeWe have technical issues which we may not be able to resolve until next week. Please bear with us if the stream goes down. The sound is also affected by the issue.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• A bonus!

13.36 ish

over the bridge and into the open again

• Latest update from Glaslyn, Heather

17:41   Heather Corfield  
    We have not seen Mrs G since 09.41 this morning, but we have seen three Ospreys flying in the valley while Aran was perched below the nest this afternoon and it is possible she was one of the three.  
    17:42   Heather Corfield  
    Chipping was heard and one of the birds was carrying a fish.
    Mrs G is on the low oak perch where Aran was earlier with a large flounder.
    Mrs G can be seen arriving with the fish about 20 seconds before Aran lands.  She flies between the tall pine we call Monkey Puzzle and the larch and circles under the perch before landing in the oak.
    Lovely evening sunshine over the Glaslyn

• 25 August

Here's ARAN !!!

IMAGICAT