GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Unknown said:
    Monty's grandson (493) from Tegid on the Snowdonia nest

Fab!  I'd seen that he'd taken some "exploratory" local flights, how nice to see him further afield - even if he is being a darned nuisance Wink

Thank you, COLIN.

• They had a busy spell at Glaslyn today, around 12.00.  Heather reported six osprey in the air.  Mrs G and Aran were included in the melee, as was 014 from next door and Blue 493(21)m, Tegid's (Blue Z1(17)m) chick from ON4 .  He even landed on the perch, very briefly, before being bashed off it, unharmed.  I don't know who the others were.  I didn't take many snaps, sadly.

Mrs G left in chase first, followed by Aran.  

The cam zoomed in briefly, enough for me to see the blue ring, but presumably enough for them to pour over when the action was over

While they were away 493 landed, briefly, before being dived off the perch

Other osprey could be flying around in the sky.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• That was a nice surprise I have just seenboth Mrs G and Aran for myself for the first time in days Mrs G flew from R to L behind the nest and quite high and then came back into view flying to the perch Half a minute or so later Aran landedon the nest Poor Mrs G got all excited and went down to join him on the nest Did she think he had fish? Thecam was set at the wrong angle so couldn't fully see Aran but I think he brought a thick stick He was certainly placing one by trial and error and then he flew off followed a couple of minutes later by Mre G
  • 10 August

I was glimpsing a lot of action out of the corner of my eye, and stopped at one point to take a snap of a blue ringed ankle in the corner of the screen, possilby 493's as he buzzed MrsG in her oak.  I held back posting it and then COLIN posted so I thought I'd wait till "the evening", which as turned out to be "the early hours of the morning" Blush

MrsG was still on the perch when Aran arrived in the morning - she stretched, pooped & flew @ 05:36, and Aran flew @ 05:41:

07:47 the cam went into a buffer and went down.  I wasn't "here" until nearly noon, so all those hours are missing, both from screen and download.

The first intrusion I have was @ 12:05 - I've made a mess of this, trying to insert a snap of 493 but WindowsMovieMaker won't let one divide precisely where one wants to Persevere

He wasn't on the perch long enough to get a really nice shot.

This is included in the vid:

Aran with a clump - this was when MrsG hoped he had a fish for her:

This is the ankle I was telling you about, threatening MrsG in her oak - did not move in about 2-3 frames:

A bird in the sky was probably responsible for bringing Aran & MrsG back to defend the nest @ 16:15, no intruder seen otherwise.

And again:

Then he got frisky again, this was one of several efforts I noticed, all repelled of course:

Then Aran gave chase while MrsG chipped on the nest:

MrsG joined in:

They were both soon back on the nest, both gone by 17:47.

The one on the right (MrsG?) has a fish:

Soon after that snap, Aran flew to the nest, didn't stay long, I didn't ascertain purpose.

20:34 zoom on oak behind nest, this bird flitted among the leaves, I didn't find a better shot but that could be my fault:

She didn't stay last night:

• That kept you busy sorting out that lot.

Looks like a Mistle Thrush in the trees

Richard B

• Cam went down a few minutes ago. I shan't be around if/when it comes back up, which will be on a new URL.

I understand there was intrusion earlier, I should have that for ya later.

• New link  

17:37   Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife   Sorry, the encoder froze. Back up now.

But the weather isn't as kind!

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• New URL already - Heather says the encoder froze.

• Well, what a bundle of 'news' in all those captures and videos. Many thank Scylla
  • According to me, the cam went down @ about 06:15 this morning and I haven't got any sign of it since.

Aha!  Facebook:

We apologise for the lack of Live Streaming today. We are experiencing issues with our internet connection following a power cut this morning. We are working hard to fix it. Thank you for your patience.