GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Another lucky person to have been to Glaslyn.  I am so glad you had a good day, Cathy!

It's been a quite day so far at Glaslyn

Mrs G was on, or landed as the cam was flickering into day cam, ca 04.29  (I really have great difficulty in subtracting in hours and minutes, LOL)

She flew to the perch about ten minutes later

ca 05.10 She returned to the nest when Aran landed, and faux mantled, briefly

Over half an hour later they were companionable again

ca 06.00 Mrs G flew off, Aran remained

ca fifteen minutes, at 06.15ish, Aran flew off

ca 07.00 Aran was spotted on the dead oak tree

ca 08.15 Mrs G returned to the perch

Preening

after a shake

About 08.30 she spotted something behind the camera, moving her head side to side to get into focus, and flew off, not in intruder mode

There was no movement or sight of either until Aran was seen on the dead oak tree again before 13.36 when the VC said it was Aran

He is still here, 14.13.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Aran has now been spotted on the old oak tree, not the dead tree

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The challenge of spotting the pair is confirmed in this update from Glaslyn!
    'We're having to play Spot the Osprey a lot sooner than usual this season, as the Glaslyn pair spend less time on their nest. Luckily, our cameras can find Mrs G or Aran most days in their favourite perching places."
  • Late !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 July rough snippets

It turned out that MrsG did roost on the perch, at least she was there at dawn, and she went to the nest.

Aran disappointed, arriving without a fish again:

For several hours there were views of ospreys on distant trees.

MrsG preening on perch:

She spotted a reason (which we were not privy to) to rush to the nest:

I may have checked downloads in the wrong order Thinking

Here's a nice short vid showing an intruder alert and both our stars with a good fish each:

EDIT - OMG, this is from the batch I saved 03/04 July, when SHEILA covered it on her own - this particular episode is 03 JULY.

I'm cracking up Tired face

Nothing more to report for 10 July.

IMAGICAT

• Z2 is on the nest - been acting as tho it's HIS Grin

IMAGICAT

• 11 July

Freedom!

Aeron intrudes but behaves like the owner Grin 

The cam had a look but I couldn't see that he was found flying off.

IMAGICAT

• Towards evening:

Aran flew somewhere:

Didn't see anyone on the perch up to 23:00.

IMAGICAT

• thanks for the link Mike

Mmmm, methinks Z2 may  be a problem for Aran next year

It is good to see Mrs G and Aran around  a lot and  visiting their nest

Thank you Scylla Korky amd Sheila (not necessarily in that order      Grin  

• The stream went down 3 hours ago and I didn't notice.

New URL.

IMAGICAT