GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Well done Patily and thank you What a great experience. I wondered most of the day how you were getting on. The logistical planning clearly worked out! Dyfi and, hopefully, Red Kites, to come!!
  • Patily, It sounds like you had a fabulous time at Glaslyn and it is great that you were able to see Dyfi's Z2/Aeron and Poole Harbour's Scotland translocatee 014 on the Pont Croesor nest. We've met Gail and she is very knowledgeable and a lovely person so I am not in the least surprised that she was very helpful--everyone else we've met there is lovely as well. (that is why we keep going back every year!) Gail was lowering a scope for children when we were there. I trust you will find the same is true at Dyfi, despite that being a larger operation. Dyfi do not provide scopes so I hope you have your one with you; presumably they could not cope with sanitising them, considering the large number of people who visit. Sorry that we did not meet you but please let me know next time and we'll arrange to be at Glaslyn the same day as you are.

Kind regards, Ann

• So happy to hear how much you are enjoying yourself Patily, what a lovely review of your visit so far too.   

Enjoy the rest of your very exciting trip Heart

• Morning Patily and thank you so much for sharing your day with us - it sounds just wonderful. I am so pleased for you and looking forward to hearing more. Take care and enjoy!!
  • What a lovely experience and time you have had and are about to have today Patily. It must be so exciting for you, to be there and see the birds in the flesh (well feather)! Enjoy your further visits and I look forward to reading about them. I have only been to Loch Garten twice but I remember that first encounter, looking out and seeing our beautiful EJ, throught the scope and on the big screen, never saw Odin, wonderful memories to hold forever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• How wonderful to read that Patily has been to Glaslyn. That really was quite some achievement and I am delighted for you.

I too have met Gail and share your thoughts. She is of course Gail Edgeley, she of U2 Jimmy fame, and all the hard work she did to get Scottish Power to alter their electricity poles so that raptors would not become electrocuted. She was amazing in doing that.

I hope you and Gardenbirder have a brilliant time at Dyfi too!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Earlier from Chat
    2:33 PM
    BGGW VC
    ​We think we have seen Aran and possibly Mrs G over the Visitor Centre, they were very high but Aran was noticeable because of the gap in his wing.

• Bringing forward PATILY'S VISIT TO GLASLYN yesterday, in case anyone doesn't have time to check back.

What a treat, Patily, you brought tears to my eyes, thank you so much for that lovely report.  I hope you've been having an even more wonderful day @ Dyfi, can't wait to hear about it Hugging  

• MrsG hardly left the nest or perch for hours - here she was, apparently fish-calling but Aran was in his dead tree looking distinctly fishless - and see what a clever thing I done Astonished 

Saves posting 2 pics Smiley 

Much later, Aran brought a stick and MrsG was mightily disappointed.

It was a thin one:

Then, after MrsG had got out of the way, he sorted more sticks:

And tipped a good one over the side:

He didn't exactly look ashamed but maybe a bit dazed - he soon flew off:

Some time after MrsG had left, Aran returned and appeared to stand on guard, occasionally preening, he was there for nearly half an hour:

After he left it was ENS up to 14:00, as far as I've got.

C'mon, boyz Fingers crossed tone4 

Just for now - I watched 1966 with Mum on a (probably) 2" telly Grin 

• And didn't the boys do well!!