Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 March 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SPRING!

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe, healthy week! 

• LINDY I used to love watching the birds collect the goldies hair for their nests and one one occasion OH found a nest beautifully lined with golden hair. For some reason they don't seem to be interested in cocker spaniel hair.
  • Morning all
    Not great weather here so far, not expecting sunshine
    I've just been talking with my friend in Wales. It's three weeks since her total knee replacement and she can't weight bear and is suffering excruciating pain especially at night. She's been on morphine since the operation. She has first physiotherapist appointment today. She's a small woman, not overweight and the pain is so severe. She has osteoporosis and has previously had a fractured pelvis and a fractured neck of femur, so she's not unused to pain. This must be really bad.
    AQ - We've been hearing about the Sydney floods, I heard that the reservoir that supplies the city with water is threatening to overflow... Awful times.
  • Good Morning. Sorry to hear about your poor Welsh friend, Heather: she must be in a state. So unlucky to have such problems.

AQ - We are getting filmed reports here of the dreadful floods and it looks as if it could get worse, yet. Sorry that your country has had such fire, flood and pestilence to deal with in only the last couple of years. It will test those in charge, and remind the rest of us that life is not always hunky dory.

A bit grey and cloudy here, but I've been out without a coat on to replenish the birds feeders, and take a couple of photos of plants which are now opening to give us a cheering show this spring. Also have scrubbed the sink, to take it out on those who have annoyed me lately! (yes, those News reports again!) and have dusted the TV console which attracts dust with static, and then looks neglected only about an hour after its been done, it seems... .. You can no doubt tell that housework is not my favourite occupation, but I go at it in bursts!!
  • Morning all:  

AQ:  We too have seen photos of the floods, specifically one video of a house being carried away that belonged to a couple planning to be married that day? week?

OG/Diane The ride home wasn't bad sun-wise given that I left early, was driving west and it wasn't that low by the time I got home.

Heather: That's unusual (I gather) for such severe pain to linger so long.  Wonder if anyone here who's had the surgery can compare....

Feeling almost back to normal.  The altitude in Prescott Valley - which is only just under 6,000ft - really got to me this time. Of course, I was zooming about, then read online that I should've have rested the first few days (ha! too much to do).  Finally felt normal the day before I left for home.  Warm and windy here; very unusual but those storms keep passing north of us and whipping things up.

Hallo to all.

• I had a Skype chat with my friend who lives around 500 miles north of Sydney, very near the coast. She is OK, but some places near her are flooded. So it's more widespread than I thought. She is fed up with all the rain - seems to have been falling for weeks, she says.

Hope everyone is well. We have had bright sunshine all day, and it's very mild and really pleasant out there. Long may it last - but not sure it will.
  • No weather – just a bit cooler. Light grey skies. OH is spreading bark on the bird patch. J had to go to the bank to finish sorting his replacement card. Came back “sore all over” – assume a reaction to Covid vaccine. Been in bed asleep right through lunch – and it was one of his favourites – lamb hot-pot (but OH did see a take-away wrap packet in the bin!)

LYNETTE – good news from LotL!

LINDA – sadly, you are right – the world has indeed gone mad – we need city curfews, and army on the streets.

AQ – pictures of NSW floods look horrendous – pleased all is well in SA. Morning quotes were lost on me – waking up is still so difficult. However they will probably appear in our magazine.

DIBNLIB – a pity Benson is not considered as a nest liner donor!

HEATHER – sorry you friend in Wales is in so much pain – I hope she will be referred back to the surgeon to sort it out.

ANNETTE - sorry the change in altitude had its effect on you – good that you are feeling better back home.

PAT – glad your friend is not flooded, but there has been a huge amount of rain out there! I think the spring weather will be around you rather than us this week – and we might even get rain on Thursday. A couple of wet days could be useful for some baking!

Can’t even remember what’s for tea, so no hope of reporting plans for this week!
  • I wrote a paragraph about my problems with the password thing, but it got lost, and now I'm too tired to repeat it.

I think a few people have had the vaccination reaction of just feeling out of sorts, and tired, for a couple of days, OG. Hope he sleeps it off!

More from me tomorrow, I hope. I seem to get on here in fits and starts these days.
  • ps I have some good "Church Newsletter" quotes, I'll try to put them on here tomorrow.
  • Thanks to all for news. A lot of things going on around the world. Always interesting to hear, if not always good news.

Thanks for all the supportive comments to my having a moan last week about the recycling bins and complaints from residents..
    The problem now is that the council have not emptied them. Is anything ever straightforward? I would have thought that delivering bins, and arranging for them to be emptied would not be so difficult. How wrong I was!

ANNNETTE, that was a very long journey. Glad you are feeling more yourself now.

HEATHER, your friend is unfortunate to have so much pain after three weeks.

Hello to everyone else.
  • HEATHER – Knee replacements are more painful than other, eg hip. I am surprised your friend is only now having her first physio. For both of my knees, I had a physio visit daily while I was still in hospital. I was expected to do my exercises 2-3 times a day and visit my own physio 2 weeks after op. I continued until physio deemed me capable of stairs.

ANNETTE – That floating house belonged to a couple due to marry that very day. They are still separated by the floods. Sadly their dog was trapped in the house and they have lost everything except an heirloom chest which washed up, was rescued & handed in. Another wedding went ahead when the bride (& dress!) was rescued by helicopter.

OG – I don’t expect all quotes to appeal to all. I confess that I have omitted many that I don’t like.

PAT – I hope your NSW friend is safe. Rain not expected to ease until Wednesday.