Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 March 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SPRING!

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe, healthy week! 

• This week a year ago I had a crazy idea to post funny or inspiring thoughts. I did not imagine how long I would continue (I still don’t <grin>). But here is a thought that must soon be appropriate.

There's a song in the air! There's a star in the sky! (J G Holland)

• AQ: I always appreciate your quotes. Thank you!
  • Good Morning. Dry here but grey skies. Thanks to AQ for all the quotes throughout the year: a lovely mix of the funny and inspiring.

My OH has gone to the allotment to plant the last of his potatoes - he's been going every day to do one row which is five minutes digging. His watering system is working well, and he and his neighbour there are looking forward to a summer with their water on tap. This is paid for as included in their annual rent.

My sis in law is going for a long walk with one of their neighbours and their two small dogs: they are both nervous now of letting their dogs off the lead after the many dog thefts lately. It seems to be mostly small dogs which are easier to handle.
  • Thanks for suggestions etc regarding my friend .Apparently the physio is pleased with progress ... I remain concerned but I do understand that everyone's recovery rate will vary.
    OG. - I hope that J is feeling better today.
    Not feeling 100% myself, have been outside sweeping leaves this morning but have given up for the moment.
    LINDY - I've been reading about all the dog thefts. They would have a hard time kidnapping next door's Jack Russell, he is very fierce. He hates me,barks furiously and throws himself against the garden fence if he hears my voice etc
  • Morning all:   Why are people stealing dogs?  Aren't there enough in shelters, etc., to go around?  The pet adoption rate here surged with Covid; hope all those pets are still welcome once things are back up and running.

OG: Are the side effects of those meds still an issue or are things improving?

Not a lot of energy here today. Do wish we could get some of Oz's rains.  Read yesterday that houses were being invaded by snakes and insects due to the flooding.  :-(

• Apparently it's an easy way to make money - steal a dog, advertise it online and sell it - no one knows where they've come from which is why the authorities are asking everyone to chip their pets, and also for those who acquire animals to get them checked out. Although I doubt if anyone would want to lose the money they've spent on a new pet if they then discovered it already had a previous owner. We have been careful not to put Bonnie on any local newspaper pages, even though they have a "show us your cute pets" section. Don't want anyone to come looking for her.

Heather, it's probably not you personally that the dog hates, it's probably that he's very territorial and thinks he's protecting 'his' property. Doesn't stop the barking, though!

Sad to think that today it's been a whole year since the first lock down. We do at least have the comfort that the vaccine is already taking effect and many more people have been jabbed here, daily. As soon as the majority are protected, then the danger will diminish. But how long will it take to vaccinate the whole world? It's to be hoped that the effectiveness lasts for a long time.

• Another slightly dull day, but still dry here. Mouse has been tidying his “doorsteps” where some of the bark landed in his entrances – he has over half a dozen ways in and out, to and from his underground palace!

ROSY – sorry the recycling/rubbish changeover is still not resolved.

AQ – I had my left knee replaced in 2007, was out of bed the next day and taken on steps on day 4 by hospital physio – discharged on day six, because they got fed up with me walking the corridors! If I have any replacements now, it will be very different due to so much deterioration all at the same time and I well remember the three months in the rehab hospital non-weightbearing when I broke my femur! Your thought today is so uplifting, even though we aren’t there yet. Thank you for them all over the past 365 days!

LINDA – well done your OH with the potato planting – we are avoiding them again this year and what does eventually get done will depend on availability when garden centres can re-open. I’m not sure if there has been any attempt to study how long current vaccines will be effective – Covid may turn out to be like flu and will keep modifying itself so vaccines will have to be modified too. I guess this will depend how far the WHO and richer nations (are there any left?) can go with supplying vaccine to all populations.

HEATHER – your friend has to be guided by the physios – they know best. Sorry you are not feeling 100% today. J seems about back to normal (whatever that is or will be with his medication changes.)

ANNETTE – still adjusting doses of painkiller to try to find mornings again – I did get up at 10:00 today, so not bad.
  • Just been standing on our doorstep and in the street as prescribed, in memory of those lost. We had a torch each and peered into the gloom but although we can see two streets from our junction, we could only make out one lone torch in the distance, so were on our own.
  • LINDA - I first heard about the remembrance thingy on the midday news, and got the impression it had happened at 11am! Had no idea it would also happen at 8pm - poor communication. However, I have taken some thoughtful and prayerful moments during the day and hope they will count. This does remind me also of the church friend who was very seriously ill just after Christmas, and I am sorry I didn't update you before: he defied the odds and pulled through after his critical operation and several severe complications, and is now convalescing in our local hospital.
  • That is very good news about your church friend, OG.

It is really a year since you started posting your quotes, AQ? They are appreciated here. I think you started off with gardening ones, which I particularly liked (and passed on).