LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES MARCH 2021 TO END FEB 2022

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

LINK TO APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021 THREAD

May they all arrive back safely. 

• Oh dear--that is two tickets too many, AG. I wonder if one of the people who booked is the man who commented that it would be great to have a ride in one of those machines knowing that no one would be shooting at him while he was inside of it--was he in action with the military? I think this project may be difficult to stop if they are far enough along already to be booking tickets for as soon as a week from today. It means they have already shelled out for the vehicle and have chosen where it will go around the lake. We could do with a petition, and fast, and letters to MPs!
  • The power of social media! Llyn Brenig released this statement 3 hours ago.

"We can confirm that the proposed all-terrain vehicle tours will not now take place. While the social media promotion did not accurately present the proposed activity, we have listened to local feedback and have decided not to pursue this activity."

Phew, That's saved me some time!!!
  • AG, I have just seen your post above and that is just fabulous news--big sigh of relief all 'round! I am both astounded and thrilled. I wonder what really tipped the balance for them or was it actually the mass of condemnation on social media?! Hurrah!! 

Edit:  Anyone actually believe that we'd all approve if they had 'accurately presented' it?!

• How amazing! and thank god Thank you AG and ANN Let's hope they have no more mindless ideas
  • North Wales Wildlife are doing a talk about Llyn Brenig Ospreys on 10 November, in the hall in the village where I live! It would be rude not to. Anyone else? www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/.../2021-11-10-brenig-osprey-project
  • Thanks, AG. Does not look like it will also be online, so sadly, we will not watch it. Much as I'd like to, we will not be driving for over 4 hours each way for one talk and our holidays are finished for this year!
  • Unknown said:
    North Wales Wildlife are doing a talk about Llyn Brenig Ospreys on 10 November, in the hall in the village where I live! It would be rude not to. Anyone else? www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/.../2021-11-10-brenig-osprey-project

I'd love to hear about it secondhand, AG, if poss Hugging

• Post on the Llyn Brenig Facebook Page today

"The Brenig Osprey Project was devastated by news of the vandalism of the osprey nesting platform earlier this year. A pair of ospreys had established a nest and laid its first egg the day before vandals cut down the structure with a chainsaw under the cover of darkness.

Today, Openreach and GT Williams Ltd are kindly replacing the pole for free on behalf of Dwr Cymru Welsh Water and Brenig Osprey Project partners North Wales Wildlife Trust . The new nesting platform – made by Anglesey Fabrication Ltd and paid for by public donations – will be winched in later.

A big thank you to the team who came on site today to complete the first stage of re-erecting the nesting structure."

• I hope they fit a steel sleeve to the pole
  • FB Post from N Wales Police Rural Crime Team.

North Wales Police Rural Crime Team are working with Dwr Cymru Welsh Water and North Wales Wildlife Trust to enhance the security of the rare and protected osprey nesting site at Llyn Brenig.
    It comes in a bid to prevent any future incidents after the birds’ nesting platform was destroyed when someone took a chainsaw to the pole on April 30th this year.
    The rare and highly protected schedule one birds, which are offered the greatest protection in the UK, are iconic in Wales, with only a handful of known breeding pairs.
    Sergeant Liam Jones of the Rural Crime Team said: “Despite all reasonable lines of enquiry having been explored, a viable suspect is yet to be identified and we are still unsure of the motive of this horrendous crime.
    “As a result, we’re unable to rule out that there may be further attempts to harm the birds and their nesting platform in the future.
    “Because of this, we are in discussions with Dŵr Cymru and North Wales Wildlife Trust to decide how we can improve security around the nesting platform to reduce opportunities for a similar incident happening again.
    “We are hoping to commence our work over the coming months to make sure that they are in a safer environment for when they hopefully return to the area next spring.”
    Llyn Brenig is managed by Dŵr Cymru and is only the fifth breeding site for Ospreys in Wales.
    Due to Ospreys being a highly protected species, harming or disturbing one is a serious wildlife crime that carries a maximum prison sentence of six months and/or an unlimited fine.
    Whilst this investigation has been filed, North Wales Police will investigate viable lines of enquiry. Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact officers on 101, or via the live webchat, quoting reference 21000278247.