FOULSHAW MOSS, & ALL LAKE DISTRICT NEST OBSERVATIONS MARCH 2021 TO END FEB 2022

THIS THREAD IS FOR THE SCREENSHOTS & INFO FROM FOULSHAW MOSS WEBCAM AND ANY UPDATES FROM ROUDSEA OSPREY PROJECT/ESTHWAITE OSPREY SAFARI.

CONTINUED FROM 2020

FEMALE BLUE 35 - HATCHED 2010 - KIELDER 1 NEST - UNRINGED PARENTS

MALE WHITE YW - HATCHED 2008 - BASSENTHWAITE - UNRINGED PARENTS 

In the meantime Foulshaw Moss have posted a lovely video on their FB page this morning.

LINK TO FACEBOOK PAGE

© CUMBRIA WILDLIFE TRUST

• Unknown said:
    The fish is a Bass

Thank you, Richard.  That fed all three with ease Slight smile

Earlier, one of the chicks had been lugging around a hefty stick, it knocked its sibling with it:

I think this was a Mullet for supper - there was a shot that showed the scale pattern:

Oh here it is:

02 August

After being shared it was left on the nest, this morning it was whipped off the nest in a flash - so fast, it looked as tho it disappeared in a glitch in the stream, but narrowing down found the taker:

After 8, scavengers:

463 and a new Flounder:

That's where I stopped/restarted, 463 was going to have a battle on his hands with the tough fish.

IMAGICAT

• Bass, Mullet, Flounder.
    Certainly get a variety of fish

Richard B

• Well!  I've just got the last half-hour to check but otherwise I've found no fish today Astonished

Last half-hour:

Pancaking, defending, screeching, then chasing - and I bet it's the corvids but we can't see them:

One chick is on the nest screeching now.

IMAGICAT

• Whoever this is I suspect they have been waiting and calling for some time as they have had to have a sit down

C CWT Foulshaw Moss

• Waiting for supper:

A Flounder arrived:

After the winner finished, a second chick ate for a while and flew off with it:

IMAGICAT

• 04 August

First incomer @ 05:02 - they waited 20 minutes, flew off in despair Wink 

More ons 'n offs, all 3 formed reception committee for breakfish @ 07:18:

Magnifier showed it was definitely 462 who got the fish.  He ate on the fence here for a while, then took it to the far side - as you can see, it's a pretty glary scene:

463 had been closely hanging around the fish but gave up and flew @ 07:38, as did 464 moments later - NB, it's so interesting having our experience confirmed, with 464 becoming unaggressive with age after that killer start - she had stood patiently by on the left, made no move to grab after the initial kerfuffle.

07:40 462 flew with the leftover fish!

08:25 464 was back, waiting and peering - very small breast pattern for a female?

463 tussled with persistent Crow:

Later the Crow had the freedom of the nest for some time.

That's up to about 11:15.

EDIT - I might not have been accurate re the fish's progress... hopefully it will all come out in the wash Frowning2 Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

• 13:21 fish for 424:

463 got the big leftover:

462 was preening and shouting for a long time:

Got fish via a good tug:

463 got that leftover, had been eating a while before flying with a fillet a-beak and the tailend a-foot:

19:38 464 got another fish:

Flew off with it:

21:30 462 or 463, s/he never came close enough and stayed over the other side eating until dark:

The parents are doing well - sorry that I didn't note who brought what.

IMAGICAT

• 05 August

I couldn't tell who this was, so delighted to start their day:

First fish not till 08:27- I can't recognise the bird, sometimes I can recognise 464 if she gives us a full-frontal but this time we didn't see any clear view.  Whoever, it was still eating on the nest @ 09:00.

IMAGICAT