OSPREY CHAT THREAD - MARCH 2021 TO END FEBRUARY 2022

As the season is almost upon us and this is a useful thread to have, thought I better open it. 

LINK TO THE OSPREY CHAT THREAD APRIL 2020 TO END OF FEB 2021

From the above link you can find all the previous threads in the opening post. 

I always associate the beginning of the Osprey Season with one Osprey, so I would like to make this post in Memory of Beatrice (Green 5B), she always kicked off the Osprey season for us as she was the first Osprey to be on the move. This is a wee 2 minute clip of when Roy Dennis goes to Andalucia to search for her. Sadly the weather was against her when she moved too early in 2016.

CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO GO TO VIDEO

© ROY DENNIS WILDLIFE FOUNDATION AND BBC

• Many thanks, especially to Mike and Mary, for news about the LG centre and Peter's work there with the camera. Hoping that the nest is spruced up and that a pair of Ospreys are attracted to set up home there this year.

• There has been a lot of work done on a lot of nests over the last few weeks.
    Some have really had a major overhaul, such as LOTL and LG.
    Lets hope it all pays dividends for a successful season.

• There was a shocking report in Birdguides today, of an osprey photographed being shot down over Malta.  Killed needlessly by a Maltese hunter on 21 March.

Quote "With strong easterly winds and cloudy skies, migrating birds of prey were forced to seek refuge on Malta while the poor weather passed. Among these were six Western Ospreys, of which two were shot down by hunters in Delimara and on Gozo respectively."  "The harrowing incidents are just two of various illegalities witnessed by BirdLife Malta in the opening weeks of the spring migration season."  

"In addition to the raptor killings, finch trapping – another illegal activity – is operating at unprecedented levels for the time of year. This is primarily due to the message sent by the Maltese government that it intends to reopen a finch-trapping season in autumn against the will of the European Commission. The birds being trapped this spring will be sold to those that need live decoy birds in autumn. Through the good work of BirdLife Malta and Committee Against Bird Slaughter (CABS) teams, more than 140 finches have been confiscated by police since the beginning of March, with most of them being released back into the wild. Others are being rehabilitated and will be released once they regain their strength.

BirdLife Malta has commended the efforts being shown by the Maltese Environmental Protection Unit (EPU). It is evident that the police officers within the EPU seem to be willing to achieve results in bird protection law enforcement. BirdLife has urged the authorities to increase the complement of personnel in this unit and to provide them with all resources, while also asking the Malta Police Force to start allowing the EPU to work on Gozo. While results are being seen on Malta, police action is comparatively lacking on Gozo."

The link is here, but I am not sure whether the article is behind a paywall.

Heart-breaking, needless, mercillous.

• So very sad Sheila that this still goes on.   If Nimrod is still with Birdlife Malta he will be furious.  

• Now why would you think of Nimrod Mary???? LOL
  • I'm not sure what Nimrod is up to these days, but I've asked the question of someone who might know, and I will report back idc!  Meanwhile, here is something about the lovely young man!

For those who haven't come across him, Nimrod worked at RSPB Loch Garten for a few seasons, and was the lile and soul of the party!  He even maintained he recognised me when I bumped into him at the BirdFair a few years ago.  I have spoken to him both at LG and at Rutland.  Really?  We do have a friend in common, but t made this old lady feel good!

• Please assure me that you and Mary GK will not be having 'handbags at dawn' any time soon! LOL
  • I am sure I read somewhere that Nimrod is still with Birdlife Malta.   Awww he was the loveliest young man you could ever meet, so polite and kind.   Very easy on the eye too LOL....  

• Dr Tim Mackrill has a Webinar talk tonight at 7pm on the subject of Osprey Migration.

Link:-To reserve your place please visit www.ospreylf.org/webinar. Please note it is only necessary to make one reservation per computer/household.