GLASLYN OSPREYS - MARCH 2021

Amazing off-season developments in this BLOG!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Thinking of BIRDIE NUM NUM Pensive all of whose precious work for the RSPB Community has been wiped from the system.)

All pictures & videos ©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

WEBSITE - http://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/live/
"ABOUT" (DONATION link at the bottom) - http://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/about-bggw/

YOUTUBE CHANNEL - where the LIVE cam link can always be found.

Summarising the highly successful 2020 season:

21st March 10.36am Mrs G arrives
3rd April 12.08pm Aran arrives
First egg laid 13th April 19:50
Second egg laid 16th April 18:17
Third egg laid 19th April 19.01
Chicks ringed with BTO metal and Blue Darvic colour rings on 24th June
KC2 (M) hatched 20th May 10:52, fledged 9th July 14:48 (50 days)***
KC3(F) hatched 21st May 17:59, fledged 14th July 09:36 (54 days)
KC4 (F) hatched 24th May 12:52, fledged 18th July 18:44 (55 days)
MrsG - 05 September
KC2 - 24 August
KC3 - 09 September
KC4 - 09 September
Aran was last seen on 13 September @ 15:05hr (but not 100% sure that someone didn't see him after that)

***(Link) 21 November 2020, KC2 was seen in The Gambia.

The Magnificent Couple - Aran & MrsG - may they return in good health to add to their Glaslyn achievements and our delight:

IMAGICAT

• Nice snippets Scylla. Cam looks great. .
  • Thanks, Mike.

Kind regards, Ann

• This morning the night-to-day was to-n-fro for... well I haven't timed it but it was 15 minutes plus.  During that time I observed my first birdie on the perch (didn't see anyone overnight) and have amplified some singsong:

Second birdie - no time to edit this, I'd have to listen all the way thru for the sake of the singsong and I have too much else to do!

07:30:

The sheep started emerging after that, very spread out.

08:15 onwards:

11:54 I had a huge seize-up, possibly internet related, had to reboot and restart all downloads.

Now then!  This is a developing situation, so Madam here is having to tell herself not to throw tantrums because her familiar Glaslyn trees and other views are missing so far Tired face Grin    Upside down

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    Second birdie

I just popped up to the live stream and Chat has ID'd it as Song Thrush @ 07:15.

MIKE dearest Hugging

A couple of months ago I asked Heather (on Chat, so she may never have seen it) if it would be possible to add timeline, as per Poole Harbour and lots of other live cams on YouTube.  I have no idea what's involved in doing that, eg how easy or difficult or cheap or expensive - but I wonder if you might broach the subject somehow and discover the whys and wherefores of any decision?

I know that Ems thought it was too intrusive but he was wrong, as we know from experience.

IMAGICAT

• Oh, the first birdie video is absolutely lovely , I'm going to send it to Zilpha,.....and a 'news flash' has just zoomed out of the right side of my screen saying Kentucky has declared a state of emergency  - no not the communist government they now have over there  - flooding due to very heavy rain. Oh dear, trust my friend is OK

Now for the second  video A ha  very definitely  a song  thrush. Simply thrilling. If there were awards Scylla you'd definitely get one    Smile

PLus  very nice  captures 

• The land looks very parched, how can that be after all the rain we've had?

Here was a Great Tit not rivalling the Song Thrush, aww Purple heart  (It was out of sync, still may not be perfect but I tried.)

This must be the nest site.

Some sounds - I cheated and deleted lots of gaps, but the picture shows the accurate period of the day:

I've just tried to get some sounds from the darkness but there's no definition there at all, it just sounds like background traffic noise. 

IMAGICAT

• MC. The question of a Timeline has been raised, as you say, previously and indeed I raised it again a few days ago when the new system went live.
    The answer, as with Dyfi, remains the same. It is felt to be too intrusive and there are no plans to include one.
    Personally I can't see a problem and many advantages but I'm afraid that remains the situation.
  • Mike B said:
    The answer, as with Dyfi, remains the same. It is felt to be too intrusive and there are no plans to include one.

That sticks in ma craw, Mike, but thank you anyway Tired face

First corv on the perch just after daycam kicked in fully - a much closer zoom was attempted but not resolved before it flew:

Birdies and baalambs being heard.

IMAGICAT

• The cows just had a complaining session, by the sound of it.

I don't usually have the cam open to listen to it, have already got it downloading in the background, along with lots of others.

IMAGICAT

• I just got a tweet about woodland in North Wales threatened with being sold off in parcels and (possibly) used for leisure activities etc.

IMAGICAT