Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• Good MorningSCYLLA   CJ7 on the nest at present andstartted to do a little food soliciting What a shame she wasn't around about 40 minutes ago when her new beau brought breakfast They are going to need synchrinise watches

C Poole Harbour OP

• Two words adequately describe me at the moment… elated and exhausted! It’s been a frantic and wonderful couple of days. So the rollercoaster begins.
  • Let’s hope they continue to bond and that more young birds return to the south coast. Big congratulations to the Poole team.
  • Unknown said:
    So the rollercoaster begins.

He's definitely taken ownership, IMHO, and they should be a hard-wired couple very soon - except, as PATILY says, they need to synchronise their watches Watch

And he needs to deposit his fertiliser more accurately.

They both flew in earlier, seemingly someone unwelcome was around.  He still had some of his fish and CJ7 made no attempt to take it, even tho she hadn't eaten yet:

IMAGICAT

• I would have had a nervous breakdown trying to do a video covering this period, so here's a hastily compiled slideshow.

09:30-14:30 - leaves one breathless Grin

CJ7 did spend some time waitng for fish, which hasn't yet arrived.  As you could see, he still had some of his breakfish at the start.

Must rush, more to do!

IMAGICAT

• So can we assume all of this happy bonding is still within a good timeframe for successful egg laying, hatching, fledging etc? I seem to recall eggs being laid (somewhere) still in mid-June and all being well? Well, whatever. It's nice to see her paired up.

• Thanks, everyone--hope they stay together. Alison, great to see you back here and I can well believe the mix of emotions about the fact that things are looking so very promising again; I am pretty chuffed myself!
    I am soooo thrilled that (since Birdfair is not happening in person, at least that I've heard) we had, about a month ago, booked a stay down in Dorset for late in the summer. Now, if only there was someone on this thread who is in the know about these birds and the area and who could let us know (privately, of course!) if there are any good places from which the hoi polloi can see these fabulous birds...I wonder...!

Kind regards, Ann

• Ann
    I must admit that I struggle to travel the huge distances to see the Poole Ospreys as 2 miles is a long way to go. lol
    When you are headed this way I'm sure either Alison or myself can provide some details you may find helpful.

Richard B

• Thanks for updates and pics folks. Nice to know there is some bonding going on.
  • Two miles?! Good grief, you are even closer to the action there than I'd presumed, based on your previous posts here--lucky you! Thanks, very kind of you to agree to advise us and I'll be in touch in due course, all being well, and I hope also with Alison, too, as you say. Hope the pandemic permits us actually to travel there then (and also to the place we've booked in Wales for earlier in the summer--hoping to visit Dyfi and Glaslyn at a minimum there). Fingers crossed.

Kind regards, Ann