Kielder Ospreys 2021

Kielder hatched Y6 seen today in The Gambia

• Great news about the sighting of UV--hurrah! Wonderful for Glaslyn (he is one of Mrs G's grandsons and is the son of White YA) and Poole Harbour as well as for Kielder. I remember hearing early on about his ring having been fitted upside down. He is listed on ukospreys as both UV and as VU and regardless of which ring number is used to refer to him, it is definitely him, though I suppose technically he is VU, but I presume he is known as UV since the U is the letter closest to his foot and rings are traditionally read up the leg, rather than down it. His siblings were two females, VT and VV--not sure if either have been seen since--anyone know?
  • Unknown said:
    Great news about the sighting of UV--hurrah! Wonderful for Glaslyn (he is one of Mrs G's grandsons and is the son of White YA) and Poole Harbour as well as for Kielder. I remember hearing early on about his ring having been fitted upside down. He is listed on ukospreys as both UV and as VU and regardless of which ring number is used to refer to him, it is definitely him, though I suppose technically he is VU, but I presume he is known as UV since the U is the letter closest to his foot and rings are traditionally read up the leg, rather than down it. His siblings were two females, VT and VV--not sure if either have been seen since--anyone know?

VV also had a tracker, but contact was lost on her first migration as she was in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. VT has never been reported since migrating.

• Thanks, JD, sad about UV's sisters, but we know the majority of young Ospreys have little chance of seeing their 2nd birthday, unfortunately. Suppose we can always hope that VT is seen somewhere in the future, preferably at a nest site and with chicks!
  • There is a Joanna in Senegal who has reportedly spotted a 2020 Glaslyn chick. KC4, and a Rutland bird--would she be you, Jaydee from Kielder?! Hope so, and hope for more!
  • Unknown said:
    There is a Joanna in Senegal who has reportedly spotted a 2020 Glaslyn chick. KC4, and a Rutland bird--would she be you, Jaydee from Kielder?! Hope so, and hope for more!

Yes, that's me. We hope for more also!

• Oh, excellent, JD, and thanks! Congratulations on seeing those two Ospreys and I hope you see many more UK birds before coming back to the UK! Good news for both Glaslyn and Rutland. What is the ring number of the Rutland bird, please, or have I missed seeing it elsewhere? Hope you and the others with you have a wonderful rest of your trip and a safe journey back.
  • Unknown said:
    Oh, excellent, JD, and thanks! Congratulations on seeing those two Ospreys and I hope you see many more UK birds before coming back to the UK! Good news for both Glaslyn and Rutland. What is the ring number of the Rutland bird, please, or have I missed seeing it elsewhere? Hope you and the others with you have a wonderful rest of your trip and a safe journey back.

The Rutland one is Blue 1K, Rutland have posted a photo on their FaceBook page. Hatched 2013.

• Hi Jaydee!! Glad you made it. Good luck for the rest of the trip.