WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, JANUARY !0, 2021

Back later to catch up.

• Finally stopped raining here mid-afternoon. I have had an empty semi-detached bungalow next to me for well over a year - today my new neighbour moved in. There has been quite a bit of banging - understandably - and now there is some drilling - wonder what that's all about? And I wonder when I may be able to meet her? All very strange to know you share a party wall with someone you have never met!
  • I can understand how you feel, Clare, but your comment moved me to google Murdoch out of curiosity. He is 89 and lives in the UK apparently. He must have permission for 'indefinite leave to remain' stamped in his American passport which permits anyone living here as a legal resident in the UK to have full access to NHS services just like anyone born here. Yes, he is not on my favourite person list; in fact, he's on the other one--my least favourite person list although no one approaches anywhere near the top spot of that one, currently held by the soon-to-be-ex-President of you know where who will probably hold that spot forever. It is too ghastly a thought that someone might turn up in the future and be even worse, although I admit there were a few folk in the past who actually were worse. Just hoping humankind has moved on a bit...
    The Wikipedia page for "Murdoch Family" says Murdoch was born in Australia but: "In 1981, Murdoch acquired The Times of London and The Sunday Times. He bought a major stake in 20th Century Fox in 1984, which became the basis of a new US free to air television network, Fox Broadcasting Company.[9] To satisfy a legal requirement that only US citizens could own US television stations, Murdoch became a naturalised US citizen in 1985, and consequently forfeited his Australian citizenship.[11][12]" The google page on him alone says much the same. Amazing what some people will do to increase their wealth--who among us here, posters or lurkers, would do that?! Possibly add a nationality but to completely give up the one you received at birth?  For more money?!

• Murdoch's papers, in the run up to the EU referendum, were full of hate stories about immigrants and foreigners - and yet he has the cheek to live in this country (as a foreigner) and to happily accept NHS treatment he would happily have denied to countless other foreigners.
  • We have a relative -- wife of a cousin -- who is helping with the roll out of the Covid vaccine. She is doing some of the admin, keeping the records etc. She says that some people don't turn up for their appointments which is understandable in some cases, but on the other hand, they don't seem to realise how much effort goes into organising everything. The other day they had three doses left over, after giving two to members of staff who were on the premises, rather than just throw them away. They even went out into the street to search for someone, anyone, to give them to rather than waste them. They can't be kept until the next day.

Pat O - You will be longing to know who your new neighbour is, I'm sure. Harder to see people come and go when it's winter and everyone scuttles in and out of the house. I hope she's someone you can get on with.

I hope OG is feeling better and all is well in Dumfries.

• Clare and Gardenbirder: 

I can't comment with my true feelings about Mr. Murdoch. I would get banned from this thread.