Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

I'm sending best wishes to everyone. I know this is a hard end to a hard year. I hope you all find some peace and joy for the season.

Cardinal in the Snow
Shenandoah National Park
US National Park Service/N.Lewis
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free)

• Looks like it's a Christmas for reflection and appreciation of the things that we might typically take for granted at this time, especially our friends near and far including everyone on these page plus any lurkers. I'd also like to send special wishes to bjane, whose town was decimated by that awful storm in the spring and who I fear may have had more challenges than many of us..

Hugs to all!

• Another red squirrel in our garden yesterday morning and for the first time on the bird table. It didn't stay long, maybe doesn't like bird nuts!!
  • Thinking of all who are alone this Christmas.

It is now χmas Eve evening DownUnder. Our family visit long over. Lots of hugs from the Trio, I kept my face as distant as possible. They were delighted with their books & crafts. . . and started reading at once! They were thrilled to view the ladybird beetles on our crab apple. Alas it has downy mildew but the little spotted bugs are loving it. We received homemade cards from the Trio, handwritten by themselves. OH has a jar of devilled almonds made by Dau. I gained a practical oven mitt and a book about outback Aussieland. The author’s second book; I only read her first a few weeks ago. Dau & I are on same wavelength or what?

• Sounds like an ideal family visit, AQ. Lovely for you. I especially like the homemade cards from little ones.

Good Morning, Everyone . Bright here - it's Christmas Eve morning, here, AQ, and bright sunshine but only 1 degree!!

• Good morning, all.  It's a beautiful, windy day here and I've just been for a last swim before the leisure centre shuts again ........... sigh.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• AQ Zucchini cake sounds good.
  • CLARE Glad you have had another swim and sorry it will be the last for a while. I haven't rejoined my fitness club yet. There are a few reasons inc the fact the monthly subs have gone up, but also didn't like the fact that you had to join for a minimum for 6 months and give 3 months warning of cancellation. Like yours, the club will close again in a couple of days. Like many of the previous members I will wait and see what the new year brings.
  • My indoor bowls club has closed again, dibnlib. I didn't rejoin this year because the restrictions were so limiting - mainly meaning you can only play on the same rink as someone you live with. Doesn't help those of us who, like me, live alone. They were moved into Tier 4 last weekend and have now decided they will not reopen until they are back in Tier 1. As the indoor season ends in April, I can't see them reopening before next season, in September. Glad I didn't pay my annual subscription! I did pay a year's subscription for my outdoor club and played, I think, about eight times during the season. So a very expensive year!

Listening to the Carol service from King's - lovely, as always. Not live for the first time ever, and no congregation. But lovely singing and so far I've known all but one, a very modern one. And looking forward to the midnight Communion service from Methodist Central hall later tonight ... have I ever attended a service wearing a nightdress and dressing gown? I don't think so!
  • So pleased with my reply drafted in Word, but totally failed to copy, so all you are getting is
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all!