Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The new moon (the dark moon) is 14 December. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week. Seek out joy, folks. 

Check back to last week's thread to see the latest posts, including one from Rosy. 

Red-Headed Woodpecker
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
National Park Service: NPS/Warren Bielenberg
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• Quiet on here: OG often fills in the gap in the afternoons.

I had a zzz after lunch, then woke up wondering where I was! I'd been so deep asleep, I think I would have believed anything you'd told me. It's been a cold, wet, grey day. I walked across the lawn this morning when I went to feed the birds, and my feet sank into it, it was so soggy underfoot.

Spoke to a cousin on the phone, who has just managed the mysteries of email, so we will be able to keep in touch better now. She is alone after losing her husband a couple of years ago. Also chatted to my Youngest, who has been busy making mince pies! They have received some of my festive parcels already.
  • Hallo all.  Said good morning to my computer and it surprised me by saying the battery was at 100%, so I'll be interested to see if I get the "can't ID AC adapter" message again. The only thing I'm noticing right now is that the space bar appears to forget its responsibilities now and then.

AQ:   I also finished Xmas cards this morning;  UK cards went a couple of days ago.  Re computer, three years old does not make for obsolescence in my book - that's practically brand new (call me old).    You will have to keep us informed on GD doings. I hope they're nice people.

PatO: Not to worry about slim posts.. My sister in the UK was saying that it's only a few days to Winter Solstice when it will start getting lighter. Maybe you'll find those missing hours then.  

Lindybird:  My sister was complaining about the 'bloody miserable' weather this morning. She doesn't mind how cold it is as long as it's sunny.

Having a lazy kind of Sunday here.  Are TV options as grim over there as here at this time of year?  Seems like we get lots of 'specials' re-run and re-run again plus Xmas movies before the new season starts.  

• Just saw that John Le Carre (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Smiley's People and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold) among many, many other books) has died.,  One of my favorite authors.  :-(

• Diane, thank you for starting this weeks thread. Hope you are keeping well.

Hi all, hope I find you all well.
    AQ - just seen your post re eyes and eyedrops. I had to do 1 twice and 1 once as 1 was an antibiotic.

Another dreicht day down here. Didn't go to church as giving someone else a chance. Not going to the Carol
    services as you're not allowed to sing and its not the same not being able to sing. Going Christmas morning though to Dau's church. Our minister also does a podcast for those who are'nt attending in person. Lovely songs'hymns chosen for today.

Annette - watched one of Jane McDonalds cruise programmes yesterday - cruising from LA down the Californian
    coast and back. She's a hoot.
  • Hi, folks. There's a total solar eclipse over South America on Monday, 14 December. This NASA ARTICLE explains the details and how you can watch it online. I have a lot going on right now, so I haven't been posting much, but I've kept up with all of your news. Take care, everyone. 

• ANNETTE – I doubt we shall see GD neighbours; fence being 6 foot. I just hope we don’t hear them too loudly.

LYNETTE – Our city will have a short carol service & midnight mass on an obscure TV channel at 11 am (!) χmas morning. Just when I shall be checking roast spuds.

Very very tired this arvo after morning’s outing for Radiation consult. CT scan required before end of year. (Why can’t they combine these things same day <sigh>) Radiation 5 days x 3 weeks in January. By then I should have recovered my normal state, ready for next bout of fatigue. Oh joy.

• Inside me there’s a thin person struggling to get out, but I can usually sedate him with four or five cupcakes. (Bob Thaves)

My favorite machine at the gym is the vending machine. (Caroline Rhea)

I’m in shape. Round is a shape. (George Carlin)

• Love those, AQ!!!

Good Morning. Dull again here, but thankfully not raining.

Lynette, I love those Jane McDonald cruise programmes, she's so cheerful and its nice to do armchair travel.

Annette, we adored those films and TV series of John Le Carres stories. What a terrific writer, such characters and twists and turns. He will be missed.

AQ -- At least you now know the pattern it's going to take. The hardest bit is the travelling to and fro for 5 days a week - we tried to get my OH appointments for the early part of the day, to get it over with. Then you can rest, and do what you will with the rest of the day. Thinking of you.
  • Annette, yes, we get lots of repeats just now, before they give us all the Christmas specials on TV. Must say, they are doing their best in the difficult circumstances to bring us programmes in spite of having to do the 'distancing' thing. I do feel for all of those in the entertainment industry who are presently out of work. It's said that some of the theatres will never open again.
  • Good morning
    It's still quite dark here, sunrise should be just before 9 but the sun has found somewhere better to be, I think.
    My dear old boy would have been 90 today. His granddaughter is coming here for a socially distanced lunch. I'm really quite glad that he hasn't had to endure the restrictions of this year. He was a people person and would hated being shut up in the house with me !