Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The new moon (the dark moon) is 14 December. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week. Seek out joy, folks. 

Check back to last week's thread to see the latest posts, including one from Rosy. 

Red-Headed Woodpecker
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
National Park Service: NPS/Warren Bielenberg
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• My beautiful grandchildren, dressed up in their festive sweaters. Little Rosie is wearing one of Matthew's old ones, as I gave her a pretty Christmas outfit which is being saved for The Day.

• Lovely photos of the trio Lindybird. :-)
  • sorry to be lax with replies but sending best regards to everyone.
  • Heather: I went to bed at 11 last night (one hour later than 'best' for me). Woke up at 4:15; was just about to go back to sleep hours later (arghhh) when the house phone rang with a spam call. I think they start robot-calling from the East Coast when we're all still fast asleep here. We usually keep the ringer on low but not this time, so it rang and rang, the answering machine picked up then dinged every 5 seconds to let us know there was a message (that we didn't want in the first place). Went harrumphing off to OH's office to delete it then gave up on any more sleep and now drooping about the house.  On top of that, it's noisy day around here, with trash, recycling and green waste trucks all out around the neighborhood and every gardener with his power mower working to get the green waste out in time for the afternoon pickup   Hope you're feeling better today. I can see why youngest family meet up might give pause.

• Oh, heck, Annette. And I thought it was awful when one of them woke me up (relatively) while I was eating breakfast this morning. Grr!

Got all of our decorations out, and am now frowning over the boxes as they're not all labelled. I said we wouldn't put everything up this year, as I have a ridiculous amount of stuff. I really must cut down. Mind you, I have given or thrown away some for the last two years. Anyway, there are now a few favourites dotted about the house. Will do the rest tomorrow.

We're going to leave the tree till last, as it's a real one. More cards arrived today and they look jolly on the new dresser we bought early in the year.

• Another evening drop-in from me, after a dreary, dark day – even the birds weren’t around till about 10:00am!

AQ – glad the overall picture is good. When is the CT scan – I guess that’s the one for measurements and tattoo markers? Best to rest when your body tells you to, meanwhile prayers and thoughts coming your way. Usual thanks for today’s thoughts!

ANNETTE – leaders here are now trying to suggest the five-day reprieve should only be a maximum and we really ought to all stay home – Nicola has said that is what she hopes but doesn’t want to enforce it! Most people I have spoken to were minded to keep it very low-key anyway! Re medication side effects, I guess any chemical change inflicted on the body must produce some reaction! More photo sorting? You do believe in keeping busy. Horrible about the spam call at silly o’clock – and totally agree about that silly ping which goes on forever!

LINDA – sounds like a very busy day for you yesterday – but what about the custard disaster? Please tell! (or have I missed it?) Lovely photo of the three in Christmas sweaters! OH was to get the decorations boxes from the loft tonight, but totally ran out of time!

DIANE – sounds very wintery over your way – take care. Docs have fully explained reasoning against anti-inflammatories – partly because of interference with other drugs. And after J’s diagnosis last week of serious drug incompatibility, I don’t want to take any risks!

HEATHER – thanks for your explanation re medications. Have you seen the latest Christmas advice? After the four-nation discussion yesterday, it is a more foggy issue than before! Glad we aren’t having to make decisions!

Been a silly day today – everything seemed to get interrupted by something else. Haircuts this afternoon – very pleased with mine as usual. Most of the chat was about Christmas, so I didn’t hear any gossip!
  • DIANE – I meant to report our monolith but forgot (brain fog). It appeared at an outer suburb and was briefly popular for selfies. It reminds me of the mystery of the Marree Man.

I am definitely not myself yet as far as brain goes – I can’t remember simple things, I told someone my lump was centimetres instead of millimetres, I fall asleep far too often in daytime and then not at night. But, hey, I did not feel like flopping yesterday. I turned mince into meatballs, enough for extra meals. Today’s big project is to make chicken pies (using ready made pastry of course).

Dau & appendages are spending a few days on Kangaroo Island. Car ferry leaves from Cape Jervis, 2 hours south of Adelaide, to Penneshaw, 16 km, takes 45 mins. They saw a pod of dolphins performing by the ship. Miss9’s favourite animal. Lots of wildlife to see on KI, honey to purchase. I don’t know when we shall see them, ANNETTE.

OG – My scan on 30 Dec, as you say for measure, etc. These days tattoos are not permanent – as if I care!!! No start date yet, so I have at least 2 more weeks to regain normal. So glad your “cocktail” of meds is being looked at. I have always said what goes in must upset body’s balance.

• Just a thought

You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction. (George Lorimer)

• AQ;  Thanks for Marree Man link.  I like that they were able to determine when it was created thanks to satellite photos. (Also fascinated by that Lidar technology that detects ancient ruins, etc, deep in the forests and deserts, etc.)   Regardless of when, the Oz figure seems like quite an undertaking.  Here's a link to the Blythe Intaglios (the only such figures in North America) out by the Colorado River.  I keep meaning to stop and look at them while en route to Arizona, but it would take a couple hours mid-trip.  Maybe one trip when Covid is done and I'm staying the night in Indio. Nobody knows who created them, but they're apparently prehistoric.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blythe_Intaglios#:~:text=The%20Blythe%20Intaglios%20or%20Blythe,%2C%20as%20yet%2C%20unknown%20reason.

OG:  Seems like Boris et al change their advice every week!  Our hairdressers are closed down again.  Headlines re Covid are terrible but our downtown hospital's ICU still has half the unit free and non-Covid emergencies are being sent to the facility's second hospital near us.  Elective surgeries postponed.  Apropros of Covid, was talking to someone in Arizona (not family) this morning and he was telling me that they have instant Covid testing/results at the Phoenix airport.

Lindybird:  I plugged in our Xmas 'projection' light out front but futzed with the location endlessly over a few nights, dragging OH out from behind his crossword puzzle for opinions (he thought they were all fine - how predictable!).  I was thinking today that your solution of lights you can throw over a bush sounds easier.  Real Christmas trees are in big demand here this year with some places sold out already.

Just woke up from what I was sure was a two-hour nap but was only about 20 minutes.  Still, more refreshed now.