Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Grab some joy where you can.

Stay strong, friends!

Cow moose grazing on willows
US National Park Service, NPS/Jim Peaco
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• Gusty winds & showers again, another day OH has escaped the washing. No choice tomorrow, as I shall need clean clothes.

The mailorder wool co in Bendigo is surviving various lockdowns with innovative ideas. The latest is a “C-mas Survival Pack” which contains products supporting local small businesses, including, mask, sanitizer, pen, coaster, tea sample, soap, mini Ch pud, etc and of course 8-ply cotton & pattern to knit a market bag. Hurrah for initiative.

PAT – Difficult decision whether to visit family or stay home. If you go would you spend more time worrying and thus spoil the visit?

ANNETTE – Oh, why didn’t they start the stay-at-home sooner and you may have had reduced virus by C-mas. I see covid hasn’t respected the legal profession.

LINDA – Hard as it is, wise decision not to travel again so soon. Gorgeous pics of gorgeous g-kids. I am eyeing the colour pattern on Rosie’s beanie for a further project using up wool leftovers.

OG – I hope all goes smoothly with new kitchen. Fast forward to March!

Only 800 numbats left in wild. Body length 11 in, tail 6½ in.

• Just a thought

The greatest gift you could give someone is your time. Because when you give your time, you are giving a portion of your life you can’t get back.

• OG:   Have you made any changes in the kitchen that will make it easier for you to do all that baking (I'm thinking yummy mince pies) ?   :-)    Filled two huge bins with leaves, then got a text alert from the county warning of high winds due tomorrow that will no doubt deposit the leaves still on the trees all over the garden again.

AQ: The number of Covid cases has shot up in the last few weeks and what with Thanksgiving, they're being proactive, instituting tougher restrictions once the ICU availability in hospitals drops below 15%, which it certainly has in LA.  They'll be revisiting the rules in about three weeks.  By the way, loved the story about the miniature possums - so cute!   Haven't seen anything like mumbats - hope their numbers increase with help from conservationists.   Had to think about which member of the legal profession had caught Covid - didn't immediately connect Rudy Guiliani to that august body.  :-)

A busy week ahead with various appointments, packages to get off and - eeek - Christmas cards to send. Thought I had a good selection left over from previous years, but no!

Take care all

• ANNETTE - Our media always introduces him as T's lawyer.

It is 5 pm-ish, the time of day I begin to flag. Lazy tea from freezer. I'm back to the lounge & a book. . .
  • Good Morning. Dull, grey & damp again. I awoke coughing, as I hate the damp.

AQ -- Thanks for the link to the numbats --- ooh! they're gorgeous, so pretty. Never heard of them before but such lovely creatures must be saved. Glad they've been able to make the effort to help them.

Hope you can enjoy your lazy days, reading and resting. At least you can see an end in sight.

Must go as we're off out today, shopping. A flying visit to John Lewis and the biggest M&S, to get some festive goodies and presents. Have a good day, everyone.
  • Just back from town, the queue at the post office was right down the street. I'm world famous for lacking patience so it was an ordeal. Went to M and S food hall, got some goodies and fell into a taxi to come home.
    OG you're correct, I have three Kindles, an iPhone and my old smart phone, plus two PCs.... I just get cross when things don't work and I can't fix them! I can still read books on the two old Kindles so won't dump them yet.
    Christmas is certainly going to be different this year and I'm sorry, PAT, that it may not be possible for you to see your family, plus little Charlie.
    Regards to all
  • Lovely morning meeting a friend at Brodie which is a perfect half way point as she lives in Fochabers.. Long time friend as we have known each other since we were 4 years old and lived in a wee village in the central belt.
  • Lovely to keep up a friendship that you've had for so long, Dibnlib. Hope you had a good gossip.

Had a busy morning. My OH drove us and told me on the way that he's been worried about the car, as it seemed to make complaints on our long journey on Saturday: however, he could find nothing wrong today so maybe he was imagining it. We found John Lewis not too busy and went to look at some large pictures which I'd been studying on the internet. Having decided on one, the assistant said that it was out of stock so I'd better go back on the Web. Ho hum. Might still order it - at least I've seen it now, and my OH says he'll buy it for my Chr.present. I wanted a new view on the wall!

On to M&S -- my OH stayed in the car as hates food shopping so I had a chance to wander a bit and choose some pretty things for our granddaughters. I queued up to pay in a formidable queue (you would have hated it, Heather!) Whilst waiting, I couldn't resist picking up a pretty dress for Rosie.... Then it was my turn, after the well dressed lady in front of me. The assistant said to her "That comes to £275.90" Then she paused. Then she said "I'm happy to tell you that you have nothing to pay!!" Apparently a computer somewhere has been picking people out at random and giving them their items free "Merry Christmas!" -- the lady was astounded. She said "I'm going home for a strong gin and tonic!!"

Picked up what we wanted in the food hall (an even bigger queue to pay) then wended home. A good chunk of cheese for lunch and a big mug of tea!
  • Hi! Weather: okay today. Mince Pies: Made and cooling for freezer – also some blind-baked tartlets. Me: asked on “e-consult” to have anti-inflammatory on my repeat list, but Doc says can’t take it long term, but has written a script for one month supply again. OH: busy but coping. J: came over peculiar after morning break duty, so had to be fetched home and has slept most of the afternoon. J also has his copy letter written to GP by the endocrinologist he saw in Edinburgh – does not have to go there again if various tested levels don’t worsen. So, that’s us!

AQ – hope your OH feels up to laundry tomorrow, whatever the weather! Never heard of Numbats – look like a mix of several other species! Always sad if something dies out, but it’s all part of evolution. Good meaningful quote again.

ANNETTE – can’t change heights etc for me in kitchen as would be unfair on OH’s back, but are still keeping a breakfast bar at my level – same height as the present one. Sorry fresh leaves are likely to fall on your tidy garden! Heard about your Covid situation in California – hope you will not find restrictions too unpleasant – and Stay Safe!

LINDA – sorry about the cough. I hope the shopping trip with OH went well – I don’t suppose it was his kind of day out! … Aha, I see he opted out of the worst part!

DIBNLIB – envy you going to Brodie at this time of year. Hope you found some wonderful Christmas treats there!
  • OG - oh to have space for a breakfast bar - just not possible here, kitchen is not very large.
    LINDY - lovely photos of your family, thank you. You are so good at shopping for them, I get panicky and end up asking the mums what to buy.
    OG - hope that J will be OK for work tomorrow.
    AQ - I've been following your posts, take it easy, hope the laundry man will come up to scratch :-)
    ANNETTE - When you have time (!) please come and sweep leaves for me.