Weekly Chat, Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hi everyone: Have a nice Sunday. Don't forget to catch up on last few entries of previous week - AQ is havng a hard time sleeping coz of the heat!!

Daughter here for the night; catch up tomorrow.  :-)

• Love the pics OG!   Never get bored with bluetits!  - we have had plenty on the feeders, and had some wagtails ourselves, today.

Not to worry about Tomasz spelling - he is obviously going to be asked to spell it out a lot in his lifetime, but will maybe called Tom a lot, or in my case, Sweetpea!

Hope you enjoy your turkey dinner.

• Hi everbody and thanks for your posts.

Aqua - at least its sunny and very warm over there - not freezing like us over here.  Hope the day went well with the grandkids.

Alan - thanks for posting pics of the peregrines so nice to read that they are still around.

OG - just love your latest pics and have copied to my folder for desktop backgrounds.  Have your pic of the Robin in the Snow as my background pic at present, its so cute.

Went to church this morning and then on to do a little shopping. Chilled out the rest of the day apart from getting the dinner.  At present just listening to a CD of The Best Hymns in the World Ever - a Classic FM compilation I believe, doesn't really matter if I've got it wrong, its so nice to hear all the old hymns.  Makes for very good listening.

Hi Lindybird, hope you are enjoying your new grandson and that he's behaving for his parents!!

Been quite mild!! for most of the day here and the snow has virtually gone.  It looks like we're in for some more icy conditions and perhaps more snow although I think it will byepass us again. 

• Like the caption from BrendaH to the pic, dibnib.  My sentiments exactly.    LEAVE ME ALONE AND GO WATCH SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

• Yesterday an Unwilling G-m collected gchn & took them to their house. They did minimal chores, "we’ll do them later", put up Xmas tree, then gson’s friend arrived and the boys went off to play computer games or whatever. Miss14 claimed no need to clean up debris on floor as cleaning lady comes Tues. So that’s why they never . . . . Then she & I argued. Earlier this week she found a spider in her room (there could be all sorts of fauna, judging by the mess, even monsters). SIL had released a "spider bomb" but she still couldn’t go in, made a fuss, got over-ruled (one hour cleaning room), but I don’t think she did any, hard to tell, such a mess. After one hour she disappeared into bathroom. Interfering G-m opened door to air her room, quite forgetting windows were open. Next thing gson, by now playing outside, yells that the cat got out. Demented G-m rushes inside & out, only to find gson had put cat back inside window. Demented G-m rushes back in to find cat outside window again. By the time cat re-captured, bedroom door closed, Wheezing G-m collapses on lounge. At 4.30 pm I reminded them of the "do it later" chores which had miraculously vanished, checked things were off, appropriate doors closed, etc, etc, returned friend home, returned gchn to care of Dau2 who is looking increasingly stressed by tantrums, arguments, sulkiness. Tomorrow Dau1 returns <loud cheers>

This morn I posted my overseas Xmas mail (included pics of weddings), leaving interstate ones for another day. Came home to find an interstate friend lost her husband in Sept. So glad I hadn’t written yet. My usual bright breezy letter would be inappropriate.

Not quite as hot today, only 32 C but very humid. I believe some Aussies are attempting to play cricket at Adelaide Oval . . . In recent soccer voting, England was knocked out in first round for 2018, getting 2 votes. Hah, we can beat that, Aussieland got knocked out in first round for 2022 with ONE vote. And we wasted $45 million on the bid!!!!!! Money could have been better spent on education, health, perhaps keeping open the country hospitals about to close for lack of funding. But what would I know about what is important.

I hope the new server means the end of those messages I get when I try to log on, telling me that I am not authorized for this site.

Polar bear caption.  . . ARE WE THERE YET?

or perhaps  . .  IS IT SUMMER YET?

• AQ:  Please say that you don't have to deal with pesky kids again for a while!  :-)   What a hassle.  And poor Daughter #2; still, maybe things back to normal when Dau #1 back on scene. 

Busy day here; now rain bucketing down, but they say this'll be it for another couple of weeks.  Spoke to sister in the UK and she's fed up with early severe weather because the sudden drop killed all the plants/flowers in her barden that had, just a day earlier, been glowing in the lovely fall sunshine.  She says it's all black and dreary now.

Saw two of those black birds at the feeder this morning and have come to the conclusion they must be Tricolor Blackbirds (yes, I know, it would've seemed obvious but I hadn't seen them here before). One had a smudge of white on the wing, but wasn't close enough to see the dash of red. The second bird could've been a juvenile. The smaller birds disappeared when they showed up, although they don't seem as aggressive as the Scrub jays or Acorn woodpeckers...    Also got a visit from the local hawk - came and sat on the wall a few feet up from the feeder, then moved closer to the feeder before hopping into the orange tree.  OH said it had been on the fence 8' from his office window at the back of the house a couple of times last week.

So new server eh? That'll be interesting - or maybe not, which might be better.  Take care all; thanks for posts and pix.

• Morning, All:   Hope you had enjoyable weekends (although glancing over the above, think that poor AQ had some hassle from the young 'uns),

Fields are white with fog this morning, so can't see much beyond our garden hedge.  Still darned cold, too.

Here is this week's Monday Smile,  more from the Men Who Fix Things Ingeniously!

-- a nice place to sit and talk!

-- don't do this at home, folks!

• Good morning to everyone.  Thanks for the captions and of course the smiles. More snow overnight and v slippy underfoot I am told.

• Goood Morning to you ALL.  Frosty and misty, cold morning.

OG, Hope you make your booked lunch today. Lovely photographs. I feel so sorry for the birds in this weather. I refreshed the water for them this morning and the first to arrive was a squirrel.

AQ, I would bet that you wouldn't have allowed your own children to have behaved in the same way as your grandchildren are doing. At least the end is now nearer, especially for daughter 2.

Linda, Thanks for the smiles.  Idon't think that car will pass it's MOT !  

Dibnlib, Sorry you have had yet more snow. That is going to restrict you leaving the house even more.

Take care ALL.

• Usual weather, very bright.  Blue Tits (usually three of them) keep chasing around in the Willow – great to watch but almost impossible to photograph – especially as sun rises behind the tree.  Think my cold is totally gone – so managed to sleep on my back last night – right through to 7am!

Lynette – pleased you like the pix.  OH just managed one of a Robin in the Willow tree – will download and upload later.

AQ – so sorry your Sunday afternoon was that bad – that girl needs a good shaking (ignore that, not allowed these days!).  So pleased for you and Dau#2 and SiL that their mother is due home today.  Does new SiL know what he ‘s taken on?  Always difficult to know when to post Ch cards – either leave it late then they think you only sent one because you received from them, or you risk what could have happened re your friend who lost her husband.  Cricket series is “Quite Interesting”!  I so agree with you about all our taxes poured into competing as high-profile event venues – and the private money poured into sport in general – although often that is trading money which doesn’t actually exist!

Annette – glad you have an ID for those Blackbirds.  How great to get the Hawk coming close too.

Lindy – no sign of the forecast fog here today.  Mixed reaction to smiles here – especially that last one!!!

Dibnlib – don’t take any risks – not much longer till your appointment, and you’re doing very well.

Brenda – will probably use the M-way down to Carlisle in case country route has not been gritted.  No gritting here this morning after our surprise last Friday.  Just tried to check temp but garden thermometer is so frosty that I can’t read it!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!