Weekly Chat, Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hi everyone: Have a nice Sunday. Don't forget to catch up on last few entries of previous week - AQ is havng a hard time sleeping coz of the heat!!

Daughter here for the night; catch up tomorrow.  :-)

• thought you might like this. We sometimes use it as a desktop and it always makes me smile. If anyone can think of suitable captions that would be great. Believe the polar bears at Kingussie Wildlife Park are enjoying themselves.

• Half time at the hawthorns and peregrine time at Zurich:

• Just after 1pm today a heron arrived and stood beside the bird feeders. It was interested in the pond which is ice free, but the garden is still partly covered in snow. The size of the bird appears even larger in a private garden, especially in comparison to the goldfinches etc., who were not fazed by the newcomer. The pond is netted and covered 75% with boarding to conserve the heat, but nevertheless, a heron has to be chased away, so it flapped it's enormous wings and flew off about only six feet off the ground, to try it's luck elsewhere. This was the first visit for about three years, as I suspect the previous regular visitor is no longer around.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Enjoyed being able to get out of the house and having lunch out. Also called into Waitrose on the way home and topped up all the food stocks, which is something I never do on a Sunday but had to take the opportunity whilst the roads were mostly ice free. I notice that the pools are already begining to freeze.

Linda, As lovely as your phoograph is, it does not replace one of Tomasz. I hope you succeed loading it soon. Good luck trying to locate all of your poems.

Margo, I also think I have a wonderful OH, but I don't think I would trust him to buy me a coat, or any of my clothes ! Thinking about it, I think he would panic if I asked him to !

Alan, That must have been a wonderful sight to see the buzzard so near and flying so low. We haven't seen any waxwings here yet, either and there have been no reports.  People are seeing them in their hundreds. I have even put halved apples on tree branches, as well as having plenty of berries in the garden, to attract them.

• Dibnlib, I am desperately trying to think of a caption for your picture. Just waiting for a moment of inspiration !!

jsb. You are so right. I saw a heron in my sister's garden, whch was eyeing her fish. The irony was that it was standing next to a full size stone, garden heron, which is supposed to deter any other visiting heron !!

• Hazel b said:

Lindybird. The picture may not be loading as it is too big electronically. I think only pictures below a certain size can be loaded. Maybe you need to reduce the size of the picture in a graphics programme.

-- already done that, Tiger!

dibnlib:  Maybe a caption could be "I've just popped up to see if it's Spring yet??"

• dibnlib said:

thought you might like this. We sometimes use it as a desktop and it always makes me smile. If anyone can think of suitable captions that would be great. Believe the polar bears at Kingussie Wildlife Park are enjoying themselves.

GET LOST !   CAN'T I EVEN HAVE A BATH IN PRIVATE !!! 

• Thanks LINDY  like it. I could only think of "Now, what am I meant to be doing here?"

• BRENDA   love it definitely a LOL

• Sunday – almost gone!

Looked in quickly this morning, then seemed to get busy – made some mince pies and have frozen half of them.  Also been taking photos again.  Weather: no precipitation – sunny and cold (fog was forecast but only came –very thin – after it went dark.

Chloe – have just read Mozzie – the final chapter.  Great account of a wonderful experience.  Congratulations! (I have commented on that thread too).

Patricia – so pleased you managed to get out with the dogs, but do take care, especially when you walk two of them together.  Lovely place to see Waders.  Near here, Caerlaverock has reported over 42,000 PFGs this morning – apparently they are moving down here from some of their more northerly wintering sites where it is colder – but the Barnacles are moving inland from the merse to find better grazing!  No wonder we are seeing Geese on the wing moving in various different directions!  How wonderful that the Red Squirrel is back and so close to the houses – and Tree Sparrows are such attractive wee things, too.

AQ – sorry you couldn’t sleep – not good when you needed your wits about you to deal with the Grandchildren the next day!

Annette – thanks for the new week – hope you spent good time with your Daughter.

Lindy – I think somebody mentioned they were collecting your poems, so if they do get lost in server changeover, maybe they can let you have them –trouble is I can’t remember who!  I seem to remember Wattle gets very busy with a large garden, but I too hope she is well.  Think I may have spelled Tomasz wrong once or twice – apologies if I did.  I hope you can post photo soon!

Alan - Buzzards weren’t in the air here yesterday, but we saw quite a few sitting on posts, poles and treetops waiting and hoping – probably after a few lean days they would even be glad of road kill.

jsb – local Heron fishing field pond near here is frozen over, so I think they are all using the river more at present.

Brenda – pleased you enjoyed some time out, and got supplies in.  We are going for a booked Turkey lunch near Carlisle tomorrow if the weather stays reasonable, as well as a few bits of shopping at a big garden centre with a food hall.

Been chasing Blue Tits with the camera recently – they rarely sit still.  This one was quite co-operative this morning:

And Pied Wagtail has arrived now: 

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!