Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, wonderful week! 

• You posted while I was rambling on, AQ. I know, doing things on your own are not the same without company. {HUGS}

My OH had a good day yesterday playing golf, but when they all arrived (20 of them, each in one car alone to minimise contact) they found there was fog in the hills. My OH was cold in his shorts for the first couple of hours before it brightened up!
  • LINDY - you must be so excited at the thought of seeing Amber ( and her daddy!). Enjoy !!!!!
    ANNETTE- I didn't realise that recliner chairs came in different sizes until I went to choose a new one a few years ago. And it isn't just the width - the seat depth also varies. If you know what I mean. I like the edge of the seat to be where my knee bends and I have fairly long legs ...

• Good morning – warm and breezy today. J has gone to work quite calmly in the end! Two training days before the kids return. Head promised no full meeting (and no scones and coffee either) – he’ll say his piece over the Tannoy, then they can have distanced departmental meetings and other group discussions using Teams.

ROSY – I thought of you yesterday and wondered whether you had another duckling day – hope you see them again soon, but pleased there was plenty of interest along the river.

LYNETTE – I’m sure the short time away will set your Daughter up for the term ahead, when schools down there do get started up again.

ANNETTE – I am sure your Daughter will be happy to have the chair as a combined birthday and Christmas present – they are very costly.

AQ – sorry you are missing your friend on trips with the camera. Loved the “advice” on aging!

LINDA – have a wonderful time with Amber and her Dad! Terrible that those two got lenient sentences – courts should back up police and public opinion. With fog there, Buxton was obviously not as windy as I had thought, but glad your OH enjoyed the day apart from the early cold knees! A nice drive there and back, with no-one else aboard.

HEATHER – my chair is a different shape from OH’s – much less depth from front to back due to my short legs, not so high as his either. I seem to remember it is also an inch narrower.

Postponed OH’s Tesco day to tomorrow, so having today at home to get used to quietness after nearly five months! He will have his Elders’ Zoom meeting this afternoon.
  • Just had a message that they only left home a short while ago, so they will be here for a late lunch, I guess. More time for me to panic and dust, and to potter around the garden for a bit, hopefully.

Must join in with the reclining chair conversation. We bought two leather recliners for our conservatory and are very pleased with them. Following that, we later changed the sofa and my OHs chair in the sitting room, so went back to the same place for those and got more recliners! Bought from SofaWorks, as they call themselves now. Many branches countrywide. You can go and sit on them in the shop, which I think is vital - no good buying from a photograph. Several versions to choose from, and many many different covers to choose from, too. I think they were much cheaper than the ones you see advertised as specifically for the "elderly" and yet they have all the same features. Most of them have either hand operated or electric buttons.
  • OG - You must be relieved that J is calm about the return to school. Hope all goes well and he can get back into routine.

My OH has already been to pick beans at the allotment, buy a loaf of bread for me on the way back, and mowed the lawn. Then he hoovered right through the downstairs. Then he went two doors away to give away a box of fresh tomatoes and a tray of fresh picked blackberries he found in a hedgerow. Now he's sitting in the garden!

• OG Very glad that J returned to work without hassle. The first day back is always the worst so hopefully he will be fine from now on.
  • Bjane: I hope you're okay and safe. I just saw the WEATHER REPORTS about that massive derecho storm. I read that Iowa had up to 99 mph straight-line winds and power outages. It's due here where I live after 6:00 pm. I hope all is well with you. Edit: Oh, dear. I just read the UPDATED REPORTS. Looks like Cedar Rapids was hit hard. Saying a prayer for you, bjane. 

• Just saw your post on F Book, Diane: please keep your head down, and bjane, too. Very worrying, as these things are so unpredictable.
  • AQ - those quotes made me chuckle this week but I did like the one that Mother Theresa said.

Lindybird - Unfortunately criminals seem to be getting away with most things at present, I suppose its because of the situation we all find ourselves in with this bug, They say that stabbings etc are again on the increase now that some rules have been relaxed.The police try their best with the resources they have.

Hope visit of Amber and son go well - lots of hugs - virtually. Enjoy the moment.

OG- The schools down here are supposed to be going back on their normal day, not sure which. It will be interesting to see how they are going to work at social distancing which is nigh impossible if you have a full class. I believe they are going into different bubble groups.

Lindybird - we bought a new 3 piece suite about 5 years ago now with two reclining chairs (electric) and sofa at both ends (mechanical). Chairs are dau's and mine and they are a godsent partifularly with gammy knees and a sometimes sore back. Often come down and sleep on chair when knee playing up , its more static than keep slipping down the bed.!!!

OG - Hope J settles into school life well after so long away from the classroom.

Diane - hope the storm misses you and if not it is not as severe as predicted. Stay safe and warm.
  • OG – J should be fine now he’s back working – anticipation can sometimes be worse than the real thing.

LINDA – I doubt you have time to be here. Enjoy your Eldest & Amber.

I do hope DIANE & BJANE are OK

HEATHER – You wrote “One interviewer asked the ABC reporter if he thought that Aussies just didn't like being told what to do!” I think in any country there are people who want to go their own way. It is a problem nowadays with websites & social media spouting theories which are based on hearsay. I read only this morn of the anti-maskers who claim that telling someone to wear a mask is giving medical advice, and practising medicine without a licence is a crime. Really!!!

Our fair city has companies that make made-to-measure chairs with multiple measurements taken. I dread to think how much they cost. My OH had trouble getting up from our lounge chairs and he took the cushion from the second chair and sat on both cushions. Last visit I forgot to replace and Dau sat on the hard base! Yesterday on way to photo outing I bought 2 chair pads, placed them under the cushion on first chair. And waited. OH came home from lunch out, sat down, chatted, got up, wandered off. He did not notice for about 5 hours! It looks a little strange but, hey ho, anything to make his life more comfortable.