LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• 08.10 (approx) JJ8 is back on the nest calling. Ian
  • ...looking good

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• SheilaFE said:

16.56  A noisy arrival of JJ8 signifies an imminent fish arrival!

Here comes Louis - perhaps he has been seeing off an intruder today.  Liz reported recently that one had been around

Edit:  I didn't appreciate at the time that JJ8 has old of Louis' left talon.  When he lets go he falls beak first and tail in the air!

He quickly departs 

A flat fish.

Peace and quiet for now.  She is looking around somewhat seriously rather than eating

That was quite a time poor Louis had - she got hold of him accidentally, the fish flapped unseen to the edge of the nest, and when Louis tried to fly away, she pulled him back down, twice!

• JJ8 has been back a couple of times since my last post, including most recently flying off at 10.57. I just note this in case it is her last sighting. She must surely start migration soon. Ian
  • IAN Can you tell me whether everybody is still here apart from JJ6/Doddie? I have looked in so many times over the last 4-5 days and not been lucky enough to see any of them
  • patily said:
    IAN Can you tell me whether everybody is still here apart from JJ6/Doddie? I have looked in so many times over the last 4-5 days and not been lucky enough to see any of them

Aila was last seen delivering fish at 15.19 on 22 August & JJ7 was last seen at 09.50 on 23 August, I would expect both of them to be gone. Louis delivered fish to JJ8 at 16.56 on 25 August so could still be around. JJ8 is obviously still around having been to the nest a few times today, most recently leaving at 10.57. Ian

• 12.20, JJ8 comes to the nest just before Louis delivers a fish. Ian

EDIT - after eating a bit on the nest she flies off with the fish at 12.29.

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• 13.37, Louis delivers fish number two for the day. Ian

EDIT - 13.39, JJ8 flies with the fish

• 15.47, JJ8 comes to the nest as Louis delivers fish number three today. Ian

EDIT - 15.50, she flies with the fish.

• patily said:
    IAN Can you tell me whether everybody is still here apart from JJ6/Doddie? I have looked in so many times over the last 4-5 days and not been lucky enough to see any of them

Adding to what Ian's said, JJ6 Doddie has been sighted in Somerset, first seen on the 23rd and positively ID'd on the 24th. He's still there today, he's been seen catching a fish on his second attempt this morning.

https://twitter.com/geemeff/status/1297990912639930369  Twitter link to a video

the photographer's website here, he's set up a Doddie page:  

https://www.akwildlifeimages.com/p488027889