LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - JULY 2020

I'm starting this thread in case it's not possible for MARY to do it due to the first-of-the-month freeze-up.

Aila, Louis and their 3 chicks are flourishing, with Louis proving a great provider to the biggest family he's had so far.

I might add some snaps 'n things if I last a bit longer, but let's get the thread on the road first ;)

IMAGICAT

• Geemeff JJ7 followed his sisters lead, his fledge was an exact copycat of hers.....  that’s it now ENS awww! 

• Well done Geemeff for spotting the third fledge (& as mentioned earlier Mary & Richard for one & two), but even heartier congratulations to Louis & Aila for this milestone in their lives. 2017 three eggs one fledge, 2018 three eggs pine marten intervention, 2019 three eggs two fledges, 2020 three eggs three fledges. Ian
  • What a morning! Got up at 5am and saw Vera fledge, then saw Captain fledge a couple of hours later so am now having a late breakfast, with a celebratory glass of champagne, watching an empty nest on chromecast.

so now the nest is back to looking like this, the day after the nestcam went live - minus the snow!

• Ian S said:
    Well done Geemeff for spotting the third fledge (& as mentioned earlier Mary & Richard for one & two), but even heartier congratulations to Louis & Aila for this milestone in their lives. 2017 three eggs one fledge, 2018 three eggs pine marten intervention, 2019 three eggs two fledges, 2020 three eggs three fledges. Ian

Mary GK said  Geemeff JJ7 followed his sisters lead, his fledge was an exact copycat of hers.....  that’s it now ENS awww! 

Well, Ian and Mary, such an exciting morning, and now I can safely watch the cricket starting at 11am. The series is tied one all, so England need to win this to win back the trophy. I'll keep an eye on the nest and capture the return of the two fledgees (is there such a word?) but meantime, it's back to the champers.

• 10.51, Aila comes back with moss, closely followed by JJ6. The juve nips Aila's foot when he realises it is only moss she has. 10.52, JJ8 comes back making less noise than JJ6. Ian

• 12.29, JJ8 is off again. She dived below the nest as if she were a peregrine! 12.32, she is back. Ian

EDIT - 13.05, JJ8 is away again. Shortly after, an osprey flashed past the front of the nest maybe JJ8 showing JJ6 that she can fly quickly as well.

• 14.28, Aila, JJ6 & JJ8 waiting for a flounder from Louis. JJ6 got it, not much competition really. JJ7 nowhere to be seen. Ian

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• 14.35, a whopper from Louis. A bit more of a fight for this one, JJ8 got it. So JJ6 has a flat fish & JJ8 has a (I assume) trout. Ian

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Thanks everyone for pics and post.
    However, there are three juvies in this nest are there not? Did the eldest never return to the nest? Please tell me all is well here
  • Yes CIRRUS he returned later that day and ison thenest now with fish, but he and his sister JJ8 sense a disturbance and Aila too comes to the nest, shouting  I see JJ7 must have fledged as he isn't on the nest Will look back after I have posted this I don't think we are waiting for anymore youngsters to fledge

WT Loch Arkaig