GLASLYN OSPREYS - JULY 2020

.A hasty start to the new month, to get something done in BIRDIE's forced absence and before the possible/probable FIRST OF THE MONTH FREEZE (and I've already got freezing probs here!).

When Birdie is back in she may give me her comprehensive version to insert here :)

Parents and chicks are all doing well, with no real upsets so far.

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

IMAGICAT

• 24 July

Someone landed behind a rainblob, no hope of ID-ing, gone in a couple of minutes:

Heather came on duty just in time to catch KC3 flying in to the perch

This is the current scene - not good fishing weather for dear Aran:

IMAGICAT

• Heather had a scout around but found no-one:

IMAGICAT

• KC4 and KC2 have been in 'n out, on 'n off the perch - the latter is currently on the nest but the cam is focused too far to the right.

IMAGICAT

• A youngster on he perch. preening
  • KC2 chased off this corvid:

Shame we didn't get a fly-in:

She took the bunch to the nest and picked up a pine cone:

Aran brought garfish:

KC2 was somewhat at a loss as to how to deal with it:

Seems to have made headway on the far side of the nest so we can't see, being watched by a sibling.

IMAGICAT

• What a day it is here! Thank you Scylla and Patily for you observations and captures. A poignant video of KC3 , thank you Scylla, have added it to my collection, it' a lovely quality despite the mist
  • Ooo, thank you Scylla. Lovely captures of KC2
  • I can't "do" this nest till later - but I seem to have seen a number of good fish on it :) Presently one of the chicks has a very nice-looking fat fish all to him/herself.

IMAGICAT

• Mrs G feeding onthe nest No sign of anybody else
  • I'm just starting the 24th all over again to make sure no fish missed early on - but, homophonically Open mouth

... Aran probably missed a lot of fish in that mist Grin

KC3's early perching:

Another snap of KC2 with his witch's broom - I know it's a weird setup but wanted to get the ends of the straw in, so might as well include a couple of cows to Grinning

I didn't find any fish before the Garfish - and see how the chicks dealt with it by the time MrsG took it over:

^^^ Forgive the obvious question going unanswered - how many and which chicks had had a go at it?  Well there was too much jiggly toing and froing for me to stop now.

KC3 was on 'n off hoping for fish:

He was rewarded with a flounder:

KC3 didn't eat much of it but had to return to protect it later when there was an intrusion which MrsG dealt with:

KC3 proceeded to eat loads more of the flounder, until there was a repeat of the intrusion!

When she returned MrsG took over the fish again, with KC3 in attendance:

Next fish - which you can't see because I preferred the view of he and MrsG making a stand together vs who?

But you can see it was a very find headless fish, after KC2 collects it:

Then KC3 took a turn with it:

Aran brought a whole fish - was it a brown trout?  Am I learning?

He ate some himself and I'm sure he was feeding juvies before MrsG came for it:

Aran brought a big stick - he musta forgotten his babies have fledged Smile

MrsG did some netorising too, then flew to the top of a pine tree:

At last!  I hadn't seen KC4 nearly all day (allowing for misses), she flew in at teatime:

The 3 of them:

Here was KC3 on the perch waiting for supper:

But when supper came it was KC2 who got it:

Last sighting of KC3 as the evening and the weather drew in:

Aran took over on the perch - he was watching a Corvid:

That was the last activity on the nest.

IMAGICAT