LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY/AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to may/june-2020

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the season progresses, Laddie (LM12) continues to make occasional visits to the empty webcam nest, defending his area from passing intruders.  It is hoped that both he and NC0 have a successful nest in the vicinity of the Loch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

21st July  - NC0 made an appearance on the nest, her first visit since 19th April 

24th July  - NC0, confirmed ring identification during a second visit to the nest

10th August  - Laddie's last appearance on the webcam nest > Here and Video by Scylla

20th August  - One chick for Laddie (LM12) and NC0 > successful-first-season-for-loch-of-the-lowes-ospreys

6th September - Probable migration date for Laddie (LM12) and the juvenile was Saturday, 29th August >

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2020/09/up-and-running-again/

• No-one found all night, but a bit after 06:00 Laddie flew in with a stick to defend.  A second osprey was seen in the air but not clearly.

He came twice, the second time staying much longer.

Perhaps SANDRA will get us some snaps from rollback, I'm flagging already!

IMAGICAT

• So lovely to see Laddie again Thanks SCYLLA This is the first time I've looked in for weeks So sad to see no young on here after all the years it has been in use. Thepoor nest hardly looks like a nest anymore
  • Hope yer don't mind SCYLLA I have some captures fromscroll-back

C SWT Lochofthe Lowes

• Oh, what a lovely video Scylla. My heart aches .... did he and NC0 stay together . Did they have chicks . I so agree with everything you have said Patily, and thank you for your lovely captures.
  • patily said:
    Hope yer don't mind SCYLLA I have some captures fromscroll-back

I hope you're joking {{{PATILY}}} ... If I'd'a known you'd be popping in I wouldn't have specified Sandra, she's usually our rollback queen Heart eyes 

I had come over very tired but have had a second wind, probably to be short-lived ;)

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    did he and NC0 stay together .

We obviously don't know but she was on the nest the other day, briefly - but I had a download disaster, it was corrupted, I could only salvage this tiny clip.

A few pages back, STARLING posted a load of snaps of the occasion.

Anyway, I think that indicates that they probably are still together, and I think I said I hoped that meant they were bonding deeply ready for next season, or something like that ;)

IMAGICAT

• Good morning all,
    Super vid Scylla, and Patily, your captures are wonderful - thank you both!
    What a very early start for dear Laddie. I wonder if that is the same intruder from the other day, definitely unringed

Cirrus, NC0 paid a visit to the nest on 22nd July (as wonderfully captured by Starling) so is still in the area
  • Sandra P said:
    NC0 paid a visit to the nest on 22nd July (as wonderfully captured by Starling) so is still in the area

Yes I've just been back and edited my post with the correct attribution and a link Wink

IMAGICAT

• Just after 16:00 the cam operator moved the view slightly from this

...to this, which it has stayed

©SWT/LotL

• 20:29 I need to double check but it appears NC0 is on the nest fish calling (her calls could be heard a minute or two prior to landing and a raven voicing its disapproval once she arrived)

Confirmed - NC0 on the ring Grinning

Pic above zoomed in and auto-corrected

20:38 She flew from the nest but was involved in an immediate altercation/chase with another bird over the the left side of the Loch, close to the nest (I couldn't get a clear capture but possibly a raven judging by the sound of its calls)

20:51 She's somewhere close by, still calling

21:10 And she continues

21:25 It's been silent for just over 5 minutes

©SWT/LotL