Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 June 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, and happy week plus a wonderful July!!!

And somebody make it stop raining! I've had 5 inches of rain today. No kidding!

• AQ: The term "bogged" or usually "bogged down" is common here in my area. Farmers often use it when they get a tractor or other equipment stuck in a muddy field. 

• Lindy: I'm so sorry about the trouble with LuLu the dog. Your SiL did the right thing by returning her to the shelter. They should have disclosed that she had a physical issue and that she'd been aggressive. The situation was terrible for all the parties concerned, including LuLu. I hope she will find a dog that will be a good companion for her.

• It probably is not appropriate to wish congrats for 4 July this year. I’ve just seen the celebrations (????) on our news. Someone has nothing to boast about. England is relaxing restrictions. Too soon. Too soon. I agree with the Scottish leader.

Victoria is still a worry. Amazingly there it is not compulsory to have a covid test if requested. The spread was helped by the security guarding those in hotel quarantine mingling (!) with guests and allowing them out for exercise and of course they went to fast foods. No wonder the disease is spreading around Melbourne. In our state, guests in isolation are required to stay in hotel room, compulsory tests on day 1 & 12. Two security people found not wearing masks were immediately fired. Could our strict rules explain our good record? Only returning travellers positive in past month. However I have let our tutor know that I shall not be going on any of his bus trips, even though some places I really want to go.

• Diane:  Ugh.  Condolences.  Stay away from that lake.   Just read that Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend and top Trump campaign official has tested positive.  Shocker.   Yes, fireworks not fun for animals...  And right - I know 'bogged down.'  My teeny brain couldn't compute it without 'down.'

AQ:  How's your lady chauffeur friend these days?  Is she up for any outings?

Off to bed.....

• LYNETTE Hope your holiday goes ahead, if that is what you want. Whereabouts in Scotland are you visiting?
  • ANNETTE Another red squirrel in the garden this morning. OH saw it but I was too late. He thinks they are young ones exploring. Hopefully they have all made their way back to the woods.
  • DIBNLIB: That's wonderful that you're seeing the lovely red squirrels!
  • DIANE Yes, we are used to seeing red squirrels in the woods, though it still gives us a thrill each time we do. To see them in our garden is a new thing. What a treat!
  • I've caught up, I think!
    ANNETTE - you really couldn't make it up! ( I'm referring to the disastrous and inefficient visit to sort out what I assume to be your internet connections?) I can quite understand why it was necessary. My OH was a pain in the neck when tradesmen were working in the house. He couldn't do it himself but hung around chatting and observing.....
    LINDY - Poor Sue. To go to what sounds to be a ramshackle concern was a big mistake. I hope that she will take advice this time....
    DIBNLIB- I'm glad that your OH enjoyed his birthday meal. It sounded yummy!

• Hello, All. I could not get on here this morning, so gave up and went off to do stuff. Well, I was on my tablet so I presume that was the problem - I can usually get on, and post, when on my main pc which I am at the moment.

Sorry to hear that the USA can't have the sense to celebrate their great national day in a sensible manner. I shall send over Nicola Sturgeon immediately - she seems to be the only one talking any sense at present. Yesterday, without warning, we suddenly had an appearance of our PM flanked by the two scientific advisors. Presumably it was to remind people to have some common sense now that we are opening the pubs and restaurants, but I seriously doubt if the idiots who will do it all wrong were actually listening. Sorry, I'm beginning to rant now...

Very damp, grey and cloudy here. Just been out to supervise my OH who was cutting back one of the rhodedendrons which is getting too large in the front garden. Our front garden is very small really, so needs careful managing or it would either look boring,or overgrown if we didn't keep maintaining it.

Tried to ring Sue last night but she wouldn't pick up. She said this morning on WhatsApp that she had a takeaway curry and a large glass of red wine last night and thought of Scarlett in Gone with the Wind, who said "Tomorrow is Another Day!" which seems like the right attitude. Will let everyone know if she finally finds a doggy friend and there is hopefully a happy outcome.

Dibnlib: what a treat having the red squirrels visit. We have seen them several times on the Reserve at Formby in Lancashire - it was on our list to go again this summer but we may not get there now. There have been crowds of people there as it gives access to a large beach and of course there have been way too many people and sadly, plenty of litter left behind, too.