Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 June 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLSTICE!

Everyone have a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

There were lots and lots of new posts at the end of last week's thread, so check back. 

• Annette - Jerome K Jerome had a wonderful way with words. The book is great. In my opinion the film is not. But isn't that normal? Good book, bad film!

I have a succession of friends coming to visit this week. Yesterday a friend came over and we walked and sat for a couple of hours, catching up on our respective lives and the bit where our lives touch - which is somewhat chaotic at the moment, with few others we can talk to about it! Today a couple of friends are coming round - and bringing CAKE! So yes, we will have a lovely walk, and then we will have a picnic. A bit of real life returning at last.

Have a good day, everyone. It's going to be HOT!! Golf tomorrow, when it's going to be HOTTER!!
  • The only thing here that could be truly described as HOTTER is my favourite brand of comfy shoes :-)

• I agree Heather. The only ones I can wear now!

Unlike Pat I do not like hot weather. I am meeting a friend for coffee at opposite sides of the park bench.

I have really lost the plot with what is allowed now. After the well-publicised announcement, I think we could get closer tomorrow, or will it be next week? I must pay attention.

The park where I am meeting my friend even had dirty nappies lying around during 'lockdown'.
  • Pat, I agree, it's very rare that we see a film which even comes close to the book we have enjoyed :-(
  • Like many of my good intentions, I haven’t improved my efforts on here this week – although I can claim the distraction of having to change parts of the Magazine after our Elders’ Zoom meeting and some late contributions too. Also achieved cutting OH’s hair on Sunday – his Fathers’ Day gift from me (he had shaved J’s for him on Saturday; I am still battling with my curly mop!)

So, very belated thanks to DIANE for starting us off again. Good to see you popping into the discussions more often now the project is done.

AQ – glad you enjoyed the post-lockdown church service – with not too many limitations. We aren’t opening yet- hoping to start later in summer with a coffee afternoon in the church garden to see how people are, and how they would feel about meeting inside – so many of us are at-risk elderly. Thanks again for continuing the thoughts! Your library situation sounds as muddled as our (well, Boris’s) easing of restrictions in England, which impinge on us here over the border – a bit like you and VIC, I suppose).

LINDA – I slept through the Stonehenge sunrise – easy as it was a marginally cooler night. It is good to be getting rain for the garden rather than just the occasional shower. Sorry to read about that huge littering issue – good of you to take action and speak out. Nice for you to have a neighbours chat outside – but your OH’s energy fair takes my breath away!

PAT – good to see you anticipating a pleasant week, with golf and Hever excursion And now friends too – with CAKE!!!.

DIBNLIB – pleased to see the international “cruise Zoom” went well, and that you can now meet up with local friend for dog walk and catch-up.

HEATHER – pleased your Daughter can work again, but unfair of non-returners. A good decision on the greenhouse – youngest family will enjoy it and benefit from “growing their own”. Will they collect it soon, so that you can organise the space during the autumn ready for next year?

ANNETTE – that comment in Tulsa was even more ridiculous than most of his silly statements … don’t know what else to say!

Well, that’s me done for now! Slightly dull day here – no real sunshine, and a few light showers – guess it was our turn this week!
  • Great to read all the chat. Walked with a friend and her sporgi yesterday and another friend and her x patterdale today. she had to leave her 12 year old boxer at home as he had overdone it on Thursday when we did the same walk. As her husband said. If you wouldn't take your 85 year old Mum for a walk round the woods, don't you think it would be a good idea not to take Alfie. I guess he has a point!
  • I've decided it's time to give myself a good kick in the derriere to get moving! Enough of this distraction and puttering! Painters are coming week or July 6 so am going to start packing bookcases, ornaments, photos, etc. OH has already claimed much of the garage for his stuff (how come he still has so much after all that cleaning out!?). Sun is trying to come out early today. :-)

Thanks for posts re dog walks, meet ups and good luck with the new rules. (Did someone say CAKE?)
  • The CAKE was delicious - home-made baked lemon cheesecake. Sitting in the shade of the mulberry tree, after having a lovely walk. Listening to the birds - goldfinches mainly today - catching up and putting the world to rights, or at least our little corner of it. Not a cloud or a jumbo jet in the sky. The dull hum of lawn mowers in the distance. I'd be surprised if anyone can top that today! I'm really sorry there wasn't enough cake to go round for all of you - but I did think about you as I enjoyed it.
  • PatO: Yum!! We enjoyed our calorie-free CAKE.