Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 June 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLSTICE!

Everyone have a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

There were lots and lots of new posts at the end of last week's thread, so check back. 

• Morning all Not much to report on this side of the globe. Cloudy and cool I am also busy with my To Do list!
  • ANNETTE / DIANE
    I forgot to say, I heard some of the talk from Tulsa. Was I half asleep or did I hear him say ' We/I have saved hundreds of thousands of lives '. Relating to covid.
  • Heather - I heard that as well, sometime in the middle of the night. I also heard him say, 'The reason we have so many more reported cases is because we are doing more testing. We should cut down on the testing!' Can someone please explain the logic behind that statement? Or am I right in thinking there isn't any?
  • Glad I wasn't hallucinating, PAT ! There is no logic as far as I can see.....
  • You are correct. No logic. Never was never is and never will be....
  • My suggestion to reducing the numbers is not to count them at all. Then one can say there aren’t any.

I haven’t been anywhere to see litter but I expect people are same here. We have had an increase in stabbings, domestic violence, robberies. Lockdowns are easing gradually; not fast enough for some people. Our state has had 27 days with no new cases, but Victoria is having a second wave.

It’s 9 am and OH is still dithering whether to go out for lunch. He will dither so long he won’t have time to get ready.

• It was one of those perfect summer days – the sun was shining, a gentle breeze was blowing, the birds were singing and the lawnmower was broken. (James Dent)

It was such a lovely day that it seemed a pity to get up. (Somerset Maugham)

Today has been eighty degrees in the shade. I was clever. I stayed in the sun. (Tommy Cooper)

But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand. (Jerome K. Jerome)

• AQ: Did your OH ever get out to lunch? Congrats on no cases in SA; we are still on the increase. :-( Sounds like Jerome was a Brit.

I see Boris is loosening things a bit - enjoy and take care!
  • ANNETTE – OH didn’t go out today. Last Friday he went to lunch, his first since February, and says he felt uncomfortable.

News today that from next Monday our state is easing restrictions further. Social distancing in venues will be reduced from 4 sq metres per person to 2 sq m. Football crowd double to 5,000. Nightclubs still not permitted. Meanwhile as Victoria continues their spike, we are sending extra police to our border crossings with VIC and essential travellers will have to apply in advance for approval to cross.

• Good Morning. Cloudy here, but sun & warmth promised later today. OH has gone to golf in his shorts.

Annette, Jerome K Jerome is the one who wrote "Three Men in A Boat" - a very funny book, also made into a film.

AQ - We are having changes here, with more to be announced today, although I can't say I'm thrilled that they propose to change the 2 metre rule to one metre. I shan't feel safe. But I can see that it helps lots of businesses to open.

Off to do lots of small things.