WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, JUNE 7 2020

Hallo all:  Have a good week and don't forget to check the latest posts on last week's thread.

• Yeay ANNETTE. Progress.
    Our State Library re-opened today, max of 100 people, 20 in each area, no browsing. Staff have to retrieve required books and quarantine on return. I can imagine there will be a lot of waiting around for staff as I usually have 1-2 dozen lookups to research. Should I take my knitting? I am not yet desperate so I shall wait..

• Good Morning. Dry here and looks as if it might stay that way: good news for my golfing OH. A little warmer predicted, too.

Interesting stuff, AQ, thanks. I thought at first that a dunnart might be a bird, like our dunnock, but I see it's a mouselike creature. Wonderful how wildlife recovers from these terrible events.

Love the description of English! - I too, am glad I learnt it when only small....
  • While I've been writing, an item has been discussed on the TV News - The Cloud Appreciation Society. I have been a Member for many years - people join from all around the world, and post their unusual, beautiful and dramatic pics on Facebook. It reminds you to look up when you're outside!! Many of the pics are mind boggling or very beautiful indeed.

You can join the Society for a small one off membership, and get newsletters in your inbox. They even have meetings a couple of times a year, around the world.
  • When I was in hospital having one of the children, there was a German nurse working on the ward.She said that she had never seen such cloud formations until she came, recently, to the Scottish Highlands. Certainly my FB feed from local groups shows fantastic photographs. .
  • ANNETTE - I forgot to say earlier - very interesting podcast about breathing and the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems and breathing. I guess that I might have known that at one time but that was then and this is now..
    Good that you and AQ will get your library books.
  • Morning all

AQ:  No browsing will be hard (here too) given that's one of the pleasures of being in a library.  Can you research your books online?  I'm on the reserve list for Hillary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light, but I've decided instead to buy it at our local independent bookstore and will pick it up today.  I re-read Wolf Hall and am just finishing Bring Up the Bodies, which made me want to read a biography of Thomas Cromwell.  

Heather: I've heard of the Cloud Appreciation Society; it's so interesting how geography and weather create such a variety of shapes.

• Looks as if I have become something of a "lurker" - didn't mean to, but have "drifted"!

ANNETTE and AQ - good to read about your libraries reopening.

AQ - thanks for more useful thoughts.

LINDA - dry here today - until around midnight, but should get some valuable rain tomorrow. Today we went in the garden to tidy up the Rhubarb - which is taking its customary summer break, and to sow more salads. We were also occupied indoors this morning - can't remember with what! Hoping to clean the fridge tomorrow.

HEATHER and everyone - stay strong!

Yesterday OH had his now customary Elders' meeting - they made a new decision about magazine distribution, having obtained a number of email addresses after sending a "round robin" about communicating. J was also online - with pupils. They have a lot of safeguarding arrangements in place and team monitoring. He doesn't seem to have had much to do today. I wondered about our bandwidth yesterday afternoon, but it coped with both of them simultaneously.
  • Lindybird - I have two apps on my phone, you can download them for heart monitoring and a sort of blood pressure check. Seems to work reasonably well for me. Don't buy one it will probably frit you to death when used., or maybe not. LOL.

Been catching up woth all your news - not a lot happening down here. Weather fine, cloudy with occasional sun bursts but forecast pretty grim for the weekend.

AQ - Love that take on the English language.
  • AQ - pleased to hear that the wildlife on Kangaroo Island is beginning to show signs of regeneration.

Lindy - love to see the cloud formations and often when out if the clouds look good try to make a scene or face or animal out of them. There really are some fascinating formations at times. Once took a load of cloud pictures but haven't kept them..
  • ANNETTE – No browsing at State Library means we can’t take the books off the shelves ourselves. I can only research the titles online. It is the content I want from these books. Only an idiot like me wants to know the history of the building I photo-ed! eg 2 buildings in the heart of the city were once a factory & warehouse for a soft drink & cordial company. Long ago Co moved to the suburbs & these buildings now converted to offices, etc. What is interesting is that this company has been making sanitizer since March.

That leads me to a story of a gin company who has been making sanitizer but has returned to gin production. A warning that a few bottles are mislabelled gin when in fact they are the other. Only a few bottles but I know who would drink them LOL.

Frost on the front lawn (no fences) this morn. Temp was -0.4 before dawn. Positive now but still c-c-c-cold. I must dress and depart for the day’s excitement – food shopping.