DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - JUNE 2020

It seems that Telyn overdid the delayed incubation of egg #1 this season, and we therefore have chicks only from eggs #2 and #3.  But what fine chicks they are - thanks to the new man Idris's provisioning and Telyn's mothering, they are doing very well.

Proud parents:

I hope you're not having a justified giggle at my struggles on this routine first of the month, KORKY, cos I didn't do the new thread early!  It's been worse, tho.

• I don't know how to do a link but Ems put a little video on FB a few minutes ago withthe thunder clap
  • patily said:
    I don't know how to do a link but Ems put a little video on FB a few minutes ago withthe thunder clap

This is what you want Patily. Make sure you have sound on!

• Intruder over the nest a few minutes ago.

© Dyfi Osprey Project

• Idris delivered a fish a few minutes ago. Telyn now feeding.

Copyright DOP

• Looks very wet Chicks trying to shyffle more under mum
  • Some snaps from this morning so far :)

Rain-blobbed Idris with headless fish - might have been breakfish:

Don't know what Telyn was looking up at:

Idris brought a whole mullet:

But Telyn didn't turn up for it so he took it up to the perch, where he had a lot of trouble controlling it, even after he'd started eating:

(Telyn did get to feed the chicks from it later.)

Then, oh dear, due to tech issues I switched off the download monitoring and forgot to switch it back on again, I'll have gaps on all nests.

•  Idris de-heading another fish:

Down to the nest:

No-one was famished, Telyn flew off leaving this much on the nest:

Idris watched his wife bring in a decent stick:

Off she flew again, Idris still idling on the perch ;)

Back with another stick!

By the time she returned with the next consignment Idris had left:

Resting after a busy spell, but still alert - standing like this, she reminds me of the Queen Mother and my Grandmother ;-*

They both look as tho they've been for a bathe - unfortunately we didn't get a zoom on them:

Off flew Telyn, returned with yet more nest material, Idris still just watching!

More !!!

Idris brought this fish to the nest (the very best pic I can get of it):

28 minutes later, he brought in another, bigger:

At 19:15 Telyn was standing by the huddled-down chicks, with the weather sounding very unfriendly:

• Mullet are a shoal fish, and in the summer months are never far from the surface.
    Once a shoal is found it's pretty easy to catch a few for the nest.
  • Dyfi family on a very windy nest....

Copyright DOP

• Thank you for the mullet info, RICHARD.

And thank you, KARIANNE, for the one and only snap for today, which is worth cicking on to enlarge Grinning   I'll just have a look for major events, like fish ;)

Weather was horrible, Telyn was sheltering the chicks when this stick got blown onto them and Telyn eventually got up and replaced it on the fence:

Breakfish was a very long time coming and there was some mysterious behaviour by the parents, either both standing braced on the nest or being absent altogether, once for about 50 minutes - absent from the cam entirely, in fact :o

Post-poop flap and who was up there?

Breakfish at last, obviously headless on delivery:

More of Telyn and Idris standing on the nest for long periods, as they did before the fish:

Another stick blown out of place, this time Idris and a chick tried to sort it - I think it went over the edge:

I made it 5 hours from when Idris left the nest to when he returned with a fish - and it was a fine whole fish:

I lost track of time but it was another 2-3 hours until Idris brought the next fish, which descended in a fuzz due to failing light, but this cropped shot shows it was a flounder:

Idris eventually flew off over our heads, I didn't see him again.  Telyn sheltered the chicks for the night, so far.