DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - JUNE 2020

It seems that Telyn overdid the delayed incubation of egg #1 this season, and we therefore have chicks only from eggs #2 and #3.  But what fine chicks they are - thanks to the new man Idris's provisioning and Telyn's mothering, they are doing very well.

Proud parents:

I hope you're not having a justified giggle at my struggles on this routine first of the month, KORKY, cos I didn't do the new thread early!  It's been worse, tho.

IMAGICAT

• intruder about

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• still about

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• I thought you must be here, LIMPY, when I saw 2 more pages had appeared :) Glad to see it's all under control, I'm off for some hours and look forward to more when I come back :)

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, everyone, for all of the photos and posts, especially to Scylla and Limpy for efforts far beyond any possible expectations! Hope you are all well.
    Wish the older chick would stop bullying the younger. Telyn's Mum, Maya, seems to keep aggression at bay by fairly constantly offering food, often even after the chicks have keeled over in a food coma. Of course, Maya and 33 have the advantage of being right on Rutland Water so all 33 needs to do is fall out of the nest or off his perch and have a little look around. At least Idris does have the tidal Dyfi River close by which intermittently offers decent fish as well as the coast not far away; Monty's record for leaving and returning with a fish from the river was under 2 minutes, if I remember rightly. Idris often brings in large fish, but my fingers are crossed that he does not choose one that is just toooo big and come to grief! I think it was on Facebook where someone suggested that Idris is 'a bit short sighted and can only see the big ones. Should've gone to specsavers!' Love it.

Kind regards, Ann

• Yesterday - what kind of flounder was this?!

It looks like dried, pressed leather Open mouth 

After it had been on the nest, apparently headless, for some time, it flapped/flipped madly a little way along the nest.

Entrails must have been taken out earlier, this is where Telyn picked them up from a point away from the fish:

When Idris came to take it, we could see the wrinkles on the skin:

I've been to the trouble of doing a video and now remember I can't show you :'(

IMAGICAT

• The highlight of the morning so far - Telyn had just come back from a flyabout:

IMAGICAT

• The cam is currently down - it was restarted but only kept going a short time.

However, breakfish has been served, and Idris has taken his share and brought it back again after this:

IMAGICAT

• Cam is back up. Chicks are sleeping on their own at the mo.

IMAGICAT

• I can't stay on here long as computer keeps shutting itself down. I have  someone coming at 15.00 to look at it.

Will post photos from yesterday and today if fixed

sorry all

love from Clare and Limpy

Magnus Ullman

• Limpy said:
    computer keeps shutting itself down

Dang !!!  I hope it can be fixed easily.  It's not something I've come across so I can't offer words of wisdom.

I'm signing off now, hope to see lotsa LIMPY-PICS when I return ... xx ... to you and CLARE.

IMAGICAT