LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - June 2020

Link to May 2020 thread

Aila and Louis' first chick hatched on Friday 29 May. Perhaps we can expect number 2 and 3 to hatch on 1 and 4 June. 

May brought lots of fish, clods, shag pile, sticks, osprey and owl intruders and fame to Aila and Louis, appearing on the BBC, Channel 4 and Chris Packham's Self Isolating Bird Club Live.

When adding screen shots please add the appropriate copyright link to 

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Mary/Scylla. It was a post by Liz B 5 hours ago asking if anyone else had problems. My post to Ian covers the gist of it.
  • The not loading issues was due to all the posts left on  chat which slowed it all down, and when all those comments are archived it returns to normal speed.

This morning was a Woodland Trust server issue and this picture appeared on the site

Richard B

• Mike B said:

Mike B said:

I stopped using the WT site because it was rubbish. Liz says that they cleared a lot of the 'comments' on Friday and that seems to have helped it.

Mike

---------------oooOOOooo--------------------

Yes Mike but there was no mention on Friends FB of why the site went down this morning.    We know about the comments causing problems of getting on to the site, and it was one of the reasons why I stopped using it, and only found out about a direct link because Scylla gave me the You Tube link.     

I will try and get on the WT site to see if any explanation has been posted on there, although if it doesn't come up for me within 5 mins I won't be bothering LOL.... 

• Mike, thanks for the information, I think that was the conclusion we came to here a couple of pages back. WT have to purge the Commento posts on a very frequent basis, unlike here where the history goes back many years. It was Adam Tinworth who provided the analysis of the WT site you refer to. Adam hosts a site that some people (Lisa K, Geemeff & my good self) from here were posting to over the winter. In advance of the season starting, he trialled Commento on his site and the general view was that it was rubbish. Based on that trial, I too decided not to post to the WT chat but concentrate my words of wisdom on this site Slight smile Ian

• Ian it was Friday that they cleared out the Comments and it was just by chance I decided to try and get on it and it came up within a few seconds.   I think that is the first time I have posted on that site.  

I don't think that had anything to do with the site going down this morning though, which looks like it was a Server Error.       

It was hard to see in your screen shot if that was chick 1 or not, I will go to the time you took it on scroll back though. 

• Mary, don't waste your time looking for the reason the WT site went down, I went back through the WT chat and couldn't see a reason. George (from WT) has posted about other things but not the outage. Ian

EDIT - feel free to waste your time ascertaining if my picture was of chick one or two Slight smile

• Thanks Ian - I didn't try Smiley yet. 

I went to check on your 1 month birthday photo and agree that it is chick 1, as I was going by the tail feathers in comparison to the chick that was in the middle at the time you took your screen shot 

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Mary, thanks for confirming my guess. Ian
  • Correct Ian, the livestream kept running on youtube but the WT site was down, also around 7-730am. As the lovely Commento doesn't give precise timings on comments, unlike here which does, (although an hour out in BST ;-) ) it's difficult to judge outage times.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • When the site slows down before a clear out it just gets very slow and doesn't load for a long time.
    This mornings failure said it was a server error, which has never shown before when it's been slowed down by too much chat and comments.

Richard B