LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - June 2020

Link to May 2020 thread

Aila and Louis' first chick hatched on Friday 29 May. Perhaps we can expect number 2 and 3 to hatch on 1 and 4 June. 

May brought lots of fish, clods, shag pile, sticks, osprey and owl intruders and fame to Aila and Louis, appearing on the BBC, Channel 4 and Chris Packham's Self Isolating Bird Club Live.

When adding screen shots please add the appropriate copyright link to 

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• 18.02, Louis comes back with a fish presumably the one he took at 16.46. If it is the 16.46 one he hasn't eaten much of it. Aila flies off and comes back to feed from an older fish and Louis flies off empty taloned. 18.52, Louis arrives with a whole fish, thus allowing me to be confident that it is a new fish and large to boot. 18.58, Aila takes the new fish from Louis as (i think) bob 1 clears the nest with a squirt, surely a sign of growth! Aila feeds from the new fish and Louis leaves empty taloned. Louis comes back at 19.03 (gives the camera a real stare) and leaves at 19.11 with a fish (based on the size I think the whole one he brought in at 18.52). Loius comes back at 19.20, hangs around until 19.29 and takes off with the same fish. Aila didn't move from the chicks at all during Louis' visit. I've lost track of the number of fish on the nest. Ian

EDIT - looking back there are maybe two fish on the nest and the large chunk of the last one that Louis will surely bring back.

• Cathy said:
    Ouch! to both Geemeff.

Indeed Cathy, and did you see Aila dragging Bob3 in her talons out of the nest cup this morning? Eventful day!

• 20.10, Louis does bring the fish back. Aila eats while Louis feaks his beak. Aila starts a feed but is blocking the view. Louis flies without any fish. Aila goes for a flyaround and I now only think there are two fish on the nest and none with Louis. Ian

• Aila feeding the bobs, all looking strong

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Back from a flyabout 01:45:

Breakfish 04:55:

Louis not yet seen.

IMAGICAT

• Thought I would try a different browser but makes no difference, website still chronically slow.

Love Aila's face in this cap, she is such a pretty Osprey. 

She doesn't get up but is chirping all the time, Louis tries to feed her

She eventually gets up and takes the fish

Starts to feed the chicks

She settled back down at 07.33 to brood the bobs.

Phew that was a marathon, won't use that browser again, showing caps side by side in 2's, so difficult to locate which ones I wanted Smiley  Wonder how long this will take to post.

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Morning all. 06.53, there are two fish on the nest and Louis brings in a smallish whole fish. Aila gives him a nice shoulder charge to get the fish. I didn't see Louis take the fish away after the feed but he must have done as he brought it back at 07..18. There was another feed at this time as Louis watched on. I don't think he took any fish away, unless one has been finished there should be three on the nest. Ian
  • Noit much has happened since my last post, Aila has been on and off a few times bringing back decent sticks. Louis made one appearance and had a nibble on a fish tail before Aila took it from him for a feed. Ian
  • Orderly bob feed. Louis needs to replenish the pantry.

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Super-speedy-site. Selebrating with a not-very-scintillating snap

(c) WT Loch Arkaig