Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, and healthy week! And, I hope your weather is warmer than it is here! I had thick frost last night.

---------

I'm editing my post to add this link. 

I have these Carolina Wrens on my patch all year long. I also have House Wrens in the summer and Winter Wrens in the winter. Many of the wren pairs build multiple nests. I have wren nests everywhere this time of year. My parents and my ancestors all revered wrens and built houses for them. I can't dig down into the earth anywhere without finding fragments of wren houses.

• I think 'woolover' is an excellent compromise - covers pretty much anything!
  • Lindy: Last week, I listened to a daily call-in radio show on NPR (National Public Radio). The host had dedicated that day's show to intense dreams, because so many people all over the U.S. and the world are reporting that they're having vivid and strange dreams since the virus hit. People called in from all over the country and related their bizarre dreams. Even the host was a little unnerved. LOL

(Annette: The radio show was 1A. I don't know whether you get that daily show.)

• LOL, Diane!! It's been remarked on here in the UK, too. I think we're all feeling that our worlds have changed, almost overnight.

• Just to confuse things, on the subject of knitted tops, did we not call the sleeveless ones tank tops?
    I seem to remember they were fashionable in the 70's, when there were several knitting patterns around. I knitted some for my children. I think I still have a pattern somewhere.
    There is a company called 'WoolOvers' which sell knitwear. It is a good name.
    I think the mens V neck ones are still called pullovers here though.
  • Rosy, I think tank tops didn't have buttons - they were literally 'pull-overs'. I know I made loads at the time - everyone seemed to want them, except me! I also knitted lots of those 'loopy' things that were all the rage for a while, way back. Can't remember what they were called. You used huge needles and looped the wool round your fingers before knitting the stitch. Again, everyone except me seemed to wear them. And I seemed to be the only person in my group who knitted - probably because my mother did!
  • I thought tank tops were sleeveless and short; didn't reach the waist. I love woolover. I think I shall use it in future! Time to be off for my knitting session together with the Secrets of the Royal Jewels. TV is really rolling out the royal programs lately. Last year we overdosed on trains from various commentators. Down to 8 C expected tonight. G'night.
  • Yes, I remember tank tops. They were usually in fairly ghastly colour combinations, in the 70s, as Rosy says.

My OH wears the sleeveless, v necked type of pullover for his golfing, as an extra layer. He is very "nesh" he says.... now there's another word to conjour with! He claims that nesh is a local word for feeling cold. He's been known to go out to golf wearing a vest (undergarment), longsleeved shirt, pullover as described, sweatshirt, heavy windproofed jacket, scarves, gloves.... the lot!
  • Only a couple of degrees here, AQ - colder than you at night time! Hope your tulips come out OK.
  • Goodness, Lindy, how on earth does your OH manage to swing a club with all those clothes on? In the very coldest weather I wear a bra, sometimes a thin polo necked jumper (not wool!), a thin fleece and a very light wind-proof jacket. And a hat and gloves. And I still feel like the original Michelin man … or woman! I assume you will be joining him on the course now that golfers can play again, but only with people from their household? I know very few couples who both play …
  • He is a funny chap OG. Once he is out for a walk the weather doesn't stop him. It is just leaving the house in rain that puts him off.