Sad news about the Osprey nest at Loch Garden

A little bit of sad and disappointing news about the Osprey nest at Loch Garten. I’ve just read a post from either a member of staff or from one of the volunteers on the RSPB Loch Garten Facebook website, and when checking for essential and safety work at Loch Garten, and although Ospreys have been seen in the Loch Garten area, no one has seen any Ospreys on the Loch Garten nest itself. Other members of this forum might have seen that post, but sadly not such good news I’m afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

• Cringer tells a great story where a visitor to Loch Garten knew all he needed to know and wanted to be left alone.

After 20 minutes so so the visitor did have a question.

Visitor    These birds were absent from Britain for 50 years? ............YES

Visitor. Wasn't it amazing that they chose to nest right by the Visitor Centre?

Yes Amazing    :) :)

• Ha, ha, Tiger! Reminds me of a story told by friends, although neither LG nor Osprey related--sorry everyone! When they were visiting a large park in the US State of Oregon which was set in an area where lava from a volcano from many thousands of years ago was the major feature, they overheard other visitors commenting on how "very lucky it was that the lava had stopped before it got to the road!" (The road in question through the park handily followed the curved leading edge of the lava flow and had been built on land over which the lava had not flowed.)

Kind regards, Ann

• Oh Dear TIGER! That has made me laugh as did yours Ann
    Here's my funny story althoughit has nothing at all to do with ospreys
    A few weeks ago a 106 year old woman wasdischarged from hospital after recovering from Coron-19 Later that day I said to somebody that it was amazing that this elderly lady had survived Spanish flu, 2 world wars and now this virus
    The response.......Did she survive the plague?"
  • Hazel b said:

Cringer tells a great story where a visitor to Loch Garten knew all he needed to know and wanted to be left alone.

After 20 minutes so so the visitor did have a question.

Visitor    These birds were absent from Britain for 50 years? ............YES

Visitor. Wasn't it amazing that they chose to nest right by the Visitor Centre?

Yes Amazing    :) :)

The 'visitor' was a fully paid up RSPB member complete with Swaroovski 'bins and 'scope.

It rivalled another RSPB member who arrived rather breathless half an hour before the centre closed, asking if he could watch us cleaning out the birds' cages.

They say 'fact is stranger than fiction' -  never a truer phrase.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.