Sad news about the Osprey nest at Loch Garden

A little bit of sad and disappointing news about the Osprey nest at Loch Garten. I’ve just read a post from either a member of staff or from one of the volunteers on the RSPB Loch Garten Facebook website, and when checking for essential and safety work at Loch Garten, and although Ospreys have been seen in the Loch Garten area, no one has seen any Ospreys on the Loch Garten nest itself. Other members of this forum might have seen that post, but sadly not such good news I’m afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

• Seems it was inevitable for this year but let us not give up hope, thare is always next year.
  • It is only May 2nd, and under the circumstances I am sure that the nest is not being watched 24/7, lets hope that younger returning Ospreys may take up this prime residence, bond and return next year.    

• I'm nowhere near as 'clued-up' on Osprey activity as everybody else who posts on this thread.

However, given how many times EJ & Odin's nest was 'under attack' - especially during the last few years of their 'tenancy' - I'm amazed that it's not been snapped-up while it's so very obviously vacant!

Ollie

Doasyouwouldbedoneby

• I think that is a view shared by many, Ollibeak.
  • Maybe something to do with the preference to take over an existing nest rather than start from scratch, seen this a lot with Peregrines last year & this!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I find it very surprising. Aviemore Ospreys have reported quite a regular number of sightings at the pond. I feel that unless there has been some serious forestry management, with trees cut back, I suspect it will remain vacant. I understand osprey require a clear view all around, some of the trees or branches were up to the level of the camera - blowing across the screen in the wind.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sheila, I know that was put forward as a theory last year as well as the removal of the camera. Every rule will have its exceptions, one of them might be the Tweed Valley nest where the limited view the camera gives suggests to me that the surrounding trees are higher than and in close proximity to the nest. Ian

• Well, the camera tree itself is dead ! From viewing via the cam I've always thought the trees were quite sparsely spaced with no tree particularly 'intruding' on the nest tree/pole (cos the nest isn't exactly in a proper tree, is it?) Not sure what is meant here but personally speaking I do not think the nest location is is any danger of being left without occupants at some stage , even if that is next year.

As for the removal of the camera farce ........ well
  • SheilaFE said:
    I find it very surprising. Aviemore Ospreys have reported quite a regular number of sightings at the pond. I feel that unless there has been some serious forestry management, with trees cut back, I suspect it will remain vacant. I understand osprey require a clear view all around, some of the trees or branches were up to the level of the camera - blowing across the screen in the wind.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Sheila

I cannot remember the trees ever being as high as the camera's or "some of the trees or branches were up to the level of the camera - blowing across the screen in the wind" like you quoted.   

I know we spoke about the trees below the nest needing cut back as the Love Perch and Eating perch were no longer visible from the hide, and when the roaming camera searched for them they were hard to find because of the greenery.  

Both the camera's, the one on the nest and the one on the camera pole were well clear of trees.   So not quite sure what you mean about branches being up to the level of the camera!  Maybe you can enlighten me as I am not quite getting it Smiley

A bit of nostalgic views of both cameras

Roaming Camera on pole 

I am quite hopeful that the nest will be used if not this year then next. 

• Lovely photos, Mary

Unlike regular visitors, I am of course just shooting from the hip with no current knowledge at all!  Sorry.

I just remember the tops of trees blowing in front of the cam, but I can't find a proper example, as I probably didn't snip such a scene!

It is probably this tree, treecam, rather than anything growing up to and adjacent to the nest

This was taken on my brief visit last year

These are snips from the 2018 season

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/