Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:

Turned up about 1704, did some nest tidying and then sat on edge of nest looking round. Stayed for about 1/2 hour

© BofPH

It had to be done, of course Rofl 

I do agree that it's a great sadness and worry that the Scottish Ospreys suffered such a bad season - and hated to be reminded of Blue28, one of the unfortunate birds making their way back home who may have been swept out into the Atlantic Disappointed 

In the evening a little bird was on the perch for nearly 4 minutes, until another "tempted" it away:

The moment of nightcam - not a strand of gossamer or a bubble in sight!

But since then he's been a PITB Tired face

IMAGICAT

• Only spider activity overnight:

But this morning @ 06:36 and stayed for over 40 minutes!

Darkened - what do you think about that, RICHARD?  I'll keep the setting for the video and see how it turns out - it won't be the end of the world if everyone disapproves ;)

IMAGICAT

• I would love it if they could sort out the resolution and clarity on the camera. It would help small bird ID greatly.
    I'm pretty sure the little birds are a couple of Greenfinches.

Although CJ7 looks a bit better when darkened the overall clarity of the picture isn't great, which is nothing to do with what you've done.

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    I would love it if they could sort out the resolution and clarity on the camera

Did you ever see LG at its best?  It didn't last long, but EJ (RIP Broken heart ) used to look fabulous.

I don't have access to most pics due to broken laptops, but here's a lovely snap from 2018 per BIRDIE NUM NUM - sorry for the digression but the remarks about cam quality brought it all back to me.

This morning's first visit - over 40 minutes - by CJ7 - yes, she does still look strange, darkening doesn't work.

2nd & 3rd visits - shorter:

Checked thru up to 10:28.

IMAGICAT

• Not only has CJ7, in her chaotic fashion, got the nest quitie ship-shape, but she's also tidied up the spider web for us - only one strand tonight !!! (So far.) 

The fascinating flyer was only on-screen for one second, I landed on it serendipitously Relaxed 

Has the Nightjar courting season finished?  The above was only up to 22:30 so I can't resist stopping the nest clip @ 03:15 to see what happened next...

This is real-time reporting, folks!  Talk about serendipity!  See who I found while monitoring LenSpider's progress - snaps 3,4,5:

The flyby:

No perchings seen, no vocals heard.  I will check thru again later.

This was omitted:

This is the current mess:

Well it was the current mess, before I had a glance at the live cam and got a shock!  (Spider-related, not bird-related.)

IMAGICAT

• The last frame before daycam:

Noises heard 05:47++ could be raindrops.

IMAGICAT

• The web weaving vid was fascinating, thanks Scyllà!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Here's one I made earlier that I forgot to upload, dang.

The clip on the front is just to show that the web survived the start of the rain - from that point onwards I did not edit at all, so the corvid's sudden appearance was what actually happened, as were the other weird "effects".  (And there's a repetitive bird call, twice I think for RICHARD or anyone else to ID.  And yes, I can manage the Wood Pigeon's voice!)

No snaps, so that the visuals will be a surprise ;)

IMAGICAT

• It is so nice to see CJ7 popping in more regularly now.

13.25 she lands

Looks around - is there another in the area?

It's a bit breezy

more looking around

What's up there?

She flew to the perch

13.30 she flew off

© Birds of Poole Harbour OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• To keep you going (a vid will follow).

She hadn't been fishing by lunchtime - unless she'd had a failure-to-catch :o

Well that didn't take long - she wasn't very active and only stayed 5 minutes:

IMAGICAT