LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - May 2020

Link to April thread

Louis arrived on the 5th April and Aila a day later. They were quickly into the old routine of making the nest cosy, stickifying, catching and eating fish, and mating of course. Three eggs were laid ON THE SAME DATES as last year - 23rd, 26th and 29th April. Last year's eggs hatched on 1 and 4 June, although egg 2 failed during hatching and was removed from the nest on 7 June. Let's hope for a healthy trio this year, although we don't want a repeat of snow on 13 May.
  • Unknown said:
    Thank you again for taking the time to do it

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to let us know we're useful, MaryC :)

I'm just sauntering thru the day, here was Aila with the "powdered snow" look during an undisturbed night - but needless to say she didn't allow herself much sleep:

Couldn't resist a portrait in the pre-breakfish misty light:

10:17, this should have been a fish!

12:32 a sturdy stick from Aila:

14:11 - good whole fish but not very photogenic:

Aila's clump:

18:37 - I'm glad that Louis had eaten quite a bit of this fish, as he looked quite thin and certainly empty-cropped earlier:

After 21:30 Louis brought 2 sticks, neither risible ;) in quick succession and did some housework, very sweet - then he flew off out to the left:

Aila is so far dry tonight.

IMAGICAT

• Good Morning All

Thanks for the catch up Scylla - beautiful misty portrait ….  

I have scrolled back over 3 hours, and can see no fish delivery as yet. 

This is this mornings catch up. 

Aila incubating blissfully

Louis arrives with a cot side (a big one) Smiley

Aila flies off and Louis begins to place it to where he thinks it should be

Aila arrives back with a mini cot side

Louis flies off and Aila goes to almost settle down on the eggs, when she sees the new addition, gets up and places it where she thinks it should go

Quite proud of herself she is

She then nods off now and again

She is awaiting breakfast, hopefully she won't have to wait too long. 

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Morning all, no major activity to report so far this morning. Aila briefly left the eggs at 05.16 but was back within a minute. Louis brought in a less than brilliant stick at 05.25 and had a wee lie down on the eggs. Aila had a bit of a tidying up session at 05.54 to 05.56 approx, I think Louis' stick has joined the (what must be huge) pile of sticks on the ground below the nest. Ian

• Louis has just arrived back with another big stick.   Aila not pleased she is chirping she wants fish.  

• Any hopes Aila had of an early fish are dashed. 08.51, Louis is back with (this time) a sensible stick. He takes over incubation. Ian
  • Wee shoogle of the eggs by Aila, then as Ian says, Louis arrives, no bacon, but takes over.

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• 11.59, decent sized headless fish, Aila takes it in accordance with procedure! Ian

• 12.31, Aila returns empty taloned. She has to employ the "hitting with stick" and "standing on tail" techniques to move Louis. It takes a couple of minutes but eventually he relinquishes the eggs to her. Ian
  • I've been offline for a few hours, here is a brief summary of the afternoon. 16.24, Aila leaves the nest with a couple of alarm calls. She returns at 16.27. At 17.00 Louis brought in a reasonable headless fish which Aila took per the operating manual. 17.43, Louis is on the eggs and gives about half a dozen alarm calls whilst looking skyward, he stays put so not leaving the eggs. Louis is currently incubating. Ian
  • Thanks Ian, much appreciated.