Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and stays healthy and safe!

• LINDY - my kindles are also Kindle Fires....
  • No change in the weather here yet, so it will be a comprehensive watering evening, then maybe ease up tomorrow with showers expected Wednesday. Much of today has been busy indoors for the two of us, and J had a virtual departmental meeting with his colleagues at lunchtime. I surprised myself earlier by actually being in time for an order slot at Lakeland, after trying for several days. We were in need of bin bags and I was suffering withdrawal from ginger, missing my evening piece which seems to stop night-time indigestion. They did say delivery could take longer than usual.

DIBNLIB – Apple Blossom is so lovely. We had a big garden when I was growing up, and the Orchard is probably the part I most miss at this time of the year. So pleased you two could enjoy your special celebration yesterday.

ANNETTE – pleased to see people are checking on your Sister and her OH out in rural Lincolnshire. Beautiful Rosebush! Sorry about the kitchen disaster!

KAREN – hope you really will keep popping in! BTW, I am OG but using E-E’s sign-in as I wasn’t able to reconnect after the changes to the page last year!

ROSY – pleased the distanced gathering was able to take place.

LYNETTE – from what you have said before, you won’t recognise your garden when Daughter has finished! But is good for her to be occupied – I worry about our J being stuck here with us two oldies. Pleased your DiL has recovered and can go back to work.

AQ – not sure about people having to all exercise clockwise – must feel a bit like exercising around a prison yard! Seems we all have those idiots on the road causing death and destruction. Personally I can’t understand this “thrill” of speed. Loved the thought re the caterpillar.

PAT etc – pleased my phone is such a simple old thing that it doesn’t use apps or text – though I have discovered recently that it can be used as a dictation machine!

LINDA – I was gobsmacked at the news that our devices can hear us in the night, then when I changed page back to what you said, the text split up and was scatted in chunks all over the place – so maybe technology was listening! BTW, new young couple have bought next door and hoping to move in when allowed, and her name is Alexa; I do wonder what their conversations sound like.

Nearly teatime now – cottage cheese with salad after a big lunch.
  • Had a good day, and went out, like two naughty children playing hookey from school, to see what we could get from B&Q. Of course, as they only opened last weekend, the plants in the garden centre part had been gone through and I only bought a couple of small things. Used their sanitizing gel on the way in, and lots of our own gel on the way out.

My OH went to see his sister with some bread and a bunch of flowers, as she is not going out at all. Also managed to get a lovely grey coffee mug in the supermarket which says on it "smile" to cheer her up, and took a big bunch of our own rhubarb. They had a driveway conversation and she wrote to me in appreciation afterwards, but I think I'm so lucky having someone to moan to as I have my OH.
  • Annette, I meant to say that it must be good for you to know that there are folks out there looking after your sister & her OH. It's been impressive here, how people have organised themselves into help lines and helping hands, locally, for those who have to stay in for health reasons.
  • LINDA - I so agree with you that we are the lucky ones, not being alone at this time..
  • Well its been a rather cloudy day with some sunshine this afternoon.
    Went out late morning just to pay 2wks papers and give the car a short spin to keep it ticking over.
    Must finish making some soup tomorrow, using chicken carcass from Sunday plus a few veg added. Will glitz it when strained.

OG - Dau has now finished most of the clearing of the ivy, just need a win on the Peoples Lottery and can then have the garden redone - oh to dream.

Didn't know that about the phones picking up things but could it be that the microphone is switched on and that is why. Mostly turn mine off at night and in any case its not an up to date model - my dau's old one.
  • OG – The lake in Canberra is 11 km (6.8 miles) long and 1.2 km (¾ mile) at its widest. So plenty of room to run/walk around.

Term 2 began yesterday and Dau sent Trio. Miss8 reluctant – she is bored in class “it’s too easy”. Twins were excited, especially MissL. Dau pleased to be free for a few hours.

Our state has had 5 days with no new cases. Easing of restrictions being considered. This week elective surgery, breast screen resumed. Over all Aussieland 9 new cases yesterday.

I have been sewing. It does make a change from weeding & knitting and, oh yes, housework. Back story - Many years ago when the Twins were tiny, Dau had her food shopping home delivered. Deliveries came in “single use” plastic bags, some of which she passed on to me. I don’t like using the “green” bags as they are too big and get too heavy.  Hence I have been using the “single use” bags; each lasts about 6 months. Alas I no longer have enough. Searching I found some material that once upon a time I intended to sew into clothes for my girls. Waste not, want not. Now I am making convenient-sized shopping bags, by hand as my sewing machine died long ago. I can’t really borrow Dau#2’s machine under lockdown. Third bag finished today ready for testing tomorrow’s fortnightly shop expedition.

• Cope with stress: 1. Dance naked in front of your pet. 2. Read the dictionary upside down and look for secret messages. 3. Write a short story using alphabet soup. 4. Tattoo "Out to lunch" on your forehead.

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes their ideas are awesome.

I’ve learned to use meditation and relaxation to handle stress. . .  Just kidding, I’m on my third glass of wine.

• Bravo AQ:  Hope the handmade shopping bags pass their first test.  California banned single use plastic bags in most stores some time back; those stores did come up with their own re-usable plastic bags, which I hate.  We use library and other give-away with a donation fabric bags, except we're not allowed to bring/use our own bags right now (I'm choosing paper when it's an option - at least it's recyclable).  If I had any domestic talents at all, I'd follow your example. Talking of domestic talents, managed to drop (unnoticed) some frozen blueberries on the floor this morning and then trod them all over the kitchen, which looked like a crime scene.    I liked #2 in your Cope with Stress suggestions; love dictionaries upside down or right-side UP.  :-)

Lynette: Congrats to daughter on getting rid of the ivy.  (You are buying People's Lottery tickets, right?)    :-)

Went down to the whale-watching area early this morning:  No whales but marvelously sunny, quiet and very relaxing.  Had ordered some sandals and summery pants online; they arrived last week and I tried them on this morning.  Pants were the usual disaster (why do these size charts never have my size!); one pair of sandals may work....   The other thing, of course, is Will we have the chance to wear 'real' clothes this summer....

Take care everyone.

• ANNETTE - You seem to be redecorating your kitchen. May we have some photos please?
    Clothes. I have enough trouble finding size to fit when I'm the change room. No hope with online choice. Anyway I am living in my gardening/at home uniform.