Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and stays healthy and safe!

• Good morning, all. Looks like another good day out there - possibly the last for a while, as the forecast for the rest of the week doesn't look good.

I will certainly not be installing any app on my phone! Even if I knew how (no, I don't want to know!!) I wouldn't do it. Too 'Big Brother' for me. And anyway, although my phone is always with me (or at least in my handbag) it's never switched on unless I actually want to use it.

Sorry, I seem to have missed birthdays, anniversaries and all sorts of important dates in people's lives. Apologies - and best wishes to you all. You know who you are!
  • Ah. Not been able to post via tablet, so am now on mobile phone.

I switch my phone off sometimes, & especially at night, as it can hear what you say. I won't have an Alexa in the house for the same reason...
  • Rather a grey cloudy sky, but not much rain forecast here, and we could do with it for the garden.
  • LINDY - seriously? Can my mobile phone hear what I say? What about my Kindle?
  • I would never have an Alexa for the same reason that I wouldn't download the coronavirus app … saw a really scary programme on television a few weeks ago which, had I even considered it before, would have turned me right against it. It's a very dangerous concept … I'll stick to Google and then ignore the advertisements!
  • Heather B said:
    LINDY - seriously? Can my mobile phone hear what I say? What about my Kindle?

I don't think ordinary Kindles hear you, but my tablet is an Amazon Kindle Fire, which has Alexa capability, and I never use it that way, always clicking on the screen rather than speaking to it.  Apparently, even though you should need to click on the microphone symbol to do spoken orders, someone else in the world (Korea? - USA?) can still tune in to hear what you say. You just never know.

As Pat says, the big corporations use all of our information as its like gold dust to them. Information & data enables them to build up a picture of each person & their lifestyle. Then they sell it to other corporations, too!! It's all to do with selling you things, of course, but scary to think that they hold more information on you than even your own government!

• I have heard about Alexa recording what is said but honestly didn't realise about other devices. I find it quite concerning.
    A very quiet day here, I went shopping as hadn't been out since last Tuesday.
    We are waiting for results for youngest son in law, he came off the oil rig last Friday but some of his co-workers have tested +ve for Covid-19.
  • Yes, Lindy, that is so true. Mind you, I really don't know how they analyse the data they use to push advertising at us. As a good Methodist, I have never gambled. Yet I get numerous advertisements for all sorts of gambling. But I don't want large corporations to know stuff about me, so I steer as clear as I can away from things that could give them a clue. Mind you, I do have a Tesco Clubcard … and a Nectar card. Not that I believe my grocery shopping and my petrol purchases give much away about me …