Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

I have a small natural sack hanging from a branch next to my front door. It feels like papery leather, and there's clearly something inside it, because it moves on its own! It's oddly heavy! I've been concerned that it may have been made by a swarm of wasps or a large bat. 

I think I've finally figured out what built it and is living in it. I believe it's a Cecropia moth, a giant silk moth. These are the largest moths in North America, and they can be more than 7 inches wide or 18 centimeters. They appear as big as a human hand. I hope I'm outdoors when the cocoon opens. 

Here's a photo showing what the cocoon looks like (mine is wider than this one): 

Cecropia Moth Cocoon
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

Here's a photo showing what the moth will look like, if that's what comes out:

Cecropia Moth, giant silk moth
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• I am glad you asked that question, Annette. I was also unclear what AQ meant by "Two up" I don't like to ask too many times for clarification, in case you all think I am dim. (you could be right). I agree with you about the latter option.

I love the cat story Heather, Cats do love a freshly laundered cushion!

We have two cats that have been coming into our garden for the past few weeks. We have found out that their owner lives in a nearby house, but has been unable to return from overseas. A neighbour (who loves all critters), has been feeding them. The cats seem to like being among the children here, so may become a permanent fixture.
  • Annette - I heard about The Orange Peril's latest offerings in the middle of the night (World Service, Heather!) and could hardly believe what I was hearing - thought I must be dreaming. But no … there it was again on the morning news. That poor medical woman in shot - she looked as though she wanted to strangle him! Does he have any clue how dangerous some of his 'loose cannon' shots are? And how some people who think he's wonderful will just do what he advises? He should be removed immediately …
  • PatO;  Well, we already know that some of Mr. T's followers have been 'drinking the Kool Aid' for some time, but one person in Phoenix, Arizona actually died after Trump suggested that chloroquine (Malaria drug) was a possible cure for Coronavirus.  "We saw him on TV...." said the deceased man's widow, who then went on to advise people not to listen to anything he or his people said, but to call their doctor.  Now there's a novel concept!

• PAT - yes, he is crackers and I am being polite, here!
    I don't know how I would get through the night if it wasn't for the WS. I like Outlook, particularly. Sometimes Hardtalk makes me cringe when interviewees get challenged a lot but then I guess that is the whole purpose of the programme !
  • Heather - Yes, I like Outlook as well. I find Hardtalk difficult - is it my age? but most of the guests seem to have accents I really can't grasp! And it does seem to be a particularly aggressive form of journalism, which I really don't like. There are some very good one-off programmes as well. I also like the history shorts that seem to appear after Outlook - very interesting background. I also like Stumped. It's very comforting to have World Service on those nights (all too frequent …) when sleep just doesn't come.
  • A very chatty day on here - very interesting posts. I agree that the Orange Peril should be made to drink his own medicine!

Had a lovely hour in the late afternoon sun when OH was painting a fence panel behind the ferns in the "Woodland" to get to it before their fronds are all unfurled - they are looking good right now - so clean and fresh.

Everything got late today - OH has been using J's car for the short shopping trips as mine really needs a good run for the sake of the catalytic converter. This morning he came out of Tesco to find the car battery was rather flat. He walked home with frozen food and left the other bags in J's car, they drove down in mine and jump started the wee one, then came home in separate cars! This whole process took most of the morning by the time the shopping was put away; I think we have caught up now!
  • Oh dear, I keep forgetting you are foreigners. <grin> (Nevertheless, do not be afraid/ashamed to ask me when I am obscure.) Two-up is a traditional Australian gambling game. A “spinner” tosses two pennies in the air. Players bet whether they fall both “heads”, or both “tails” or one of each. It is associated with Gallipoli, Diggers and wartime, by tradition played on Anzac Day, but is illegal on other days as it is unregulated gambling.

We added OH’s first sampler wine to the menu last night. I doubt they intended the red to go with sausages. I wonder which one is best with scrambled eggs – my choice for tonight’s tea. BTW my recipe includes chopped onion, tomato, garlic chives, grated cheese, maybe a few bacon bits, so more of an egg combo.

• Just a thought
    As one door closes so another opens,
    as one bird ends his song, another sings.
    And as one chapter finishes, another is beginning.
    There is no end to life, nor anything. (Karen Rene)

• AQ:  Any wine goes with your veggie and bacon scramble!  I'd drink red with sausages - no problem (though we don't eat a lot of sausage).

Not as hot as predicted, thank heaven. Toddled off to see if any whales were traveling, but nothing other than lots of surfers enjoying the waves...

• WendyBartter: I learned that "Robin Moth" is the common name of the Cecropia moth that I have beside my front door. I suspect it will be some time before it emerges from its cocoon, because we're still having cold nights here. They're also native to Canada, so they must be hearty little critters!