LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

------------------------------------------

1st Egg Laid - 19.04.20 @ 17.59 - Hatched 26.05.20 @ 10.25 hrs

2nd Egg Laid - 22.04.20 @ 12.03 - Hatched 28.05.20 @ 0600 hrs

3rd Egg Laid - 25.04.20 @ 08.50 - Hatched 30.05.20 @ before 0700 hrs

ALL 3 CHICKS WERE RINGED ON 4TH JULY - ALL BELIEVED TO BE MALE - RING NUMBERS 550, 551 AND 552

WHEN POSTING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM THE CLYWEDOG NEST CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LOGO

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

• Thanks, AG. Posting again whenever you can is fine--not to worry!  At least it sounds like good news if the family has simply moved house, so to speak, and is carrying on as normal from another nest platform.  I wonder if the Brenig male is as keen on building a 'shed' as Monty was early on at the Dyfi nest, when Glesni was his new partner in 2013--lol!  Fingers crossed that either a camera will be installed on their new Brenig nest platform over the winter, and/or that Blue 24 and her Scottish partner choose to return to their traditional nest next year and that disturbance is actually prohibited then.

Kind regards, Ann

• 550 with fish and sibling shouting for more John Williams says 5F seeing off a blue ringed female Cam still playing up with stalls and the whirrley ring
  • A blog issued from North Wales Wildlife Trust:  concerning the problems at Llyn Brenig, which includes the following info on dates:   

The last report of them seen on the nest was on 6/8/20, with a sighting of one osprey on the nest perch early morning on 7/8/20.   

Early evening on 9/8/20, we observed all three ospreys perching in the conifers near to the nest. However, we saw no evidence of the nest being used that day or since.  

We have seen ospreys flying over the far side of Gors Maen Llwyd Nature Reserve and had have heard reports of them been seen elsewhere around the reservoir

They added:

We are aware of reports of the filming activities at Llyn Brenig and the potential disturbance to the ospreys. 

We are urgently, and independently, making enquiries.  We will issue a statement on our final conclusions as soon as we reach them.  

Please be assured that we are pursuing this as a matter of urgency.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• There is a report and photographs on the Llyn Brenig fb group that both adults and the juvenile were seen today on the side of the lake away from the nest and the disturbance.
  • Thanks very much for this report AG very much appreciated.
  • Thank you Sheila for this bundle of news, very much appreciated. Human intrusion this year around many nests is beyond the pale
  • North Wales Wildlife Trust have issued an update which includes this.

"We will issue a statement on our final conclusions as soon as we reach them, as of today the 24th of August 2020 we are still awaiting further information from the parties involved but we understand that an officer from the Rural Crimes Team has visited the site. Please be assured that we are pursuing this as a matter of urgency."

North Wales Police have sent an email to one of the Llyn Brenig fb group which says they don't think there is an issue - that the juvenile may have migrated by the time the disturbance started around 8 August. This is a line which has been around for a while but cannot be justified - it would mean the juvenile left 3 weeks ago. The LC youngsters which all fledged around the same time as the LB one and are still being fed on the LC nest. The NWP rural crime team are going to issue a social media update - which I don't think is going to be good for my blood pressure.

• Thank you for the updates AG. It is good that the NWWT is taking it seriously, but how did the situation arise in the first place. Permission must have been sought and I assume given, with poor judgement IMHO.  'May' and 'around' 8 August is not good enough.  As we all know, the nest is used as a base for feeding juvies prior to migration.  It's not a good time to force them to use another base, I would have thought.
    Not that it is of any concern to either, but I wonder whether either Heather (Glaslyn) or Emyr (Dyfi) are aware of the situation or even aware of it. I would think their input would be of benefit both from the law point of view and their overall knowledge of osprey behaviour.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sheila there is likely nothing that can be done this season for the pair at Llyn Brenig, or for KC5 - there is now some doubt as to whether the three birds seen yesterday included the juvenile. We have to accept that. I am not clear whether the filming has been agreed with one or both of Welsh Water or Natural Resources Wales; I think many of us share your misgivings about that permission, and I doubt we will ever see the commercial considerations which may have influenced it.

There are a couple of key points for me in pursuing this.

1 If Blue 24 and HR7 return to the site next year but nest on the platform at the other side of the lake NWWT's investment in the current live streaming kit is redundant; the organisations who have caused this issue need to fund putting a camera on the other platform over the winter to ensure NWWT can continue the feed.

2 This whole incident needs to become an example for others who think they can disturb nesting Schedule1 species with impunity.

• Here is the statement from North Wales Police Rural Crime team. It is a lot less dismissive of the issue than the email they sent to a member of the LB fb group yesterday.

"We have been made aware of concerns raised regarding the disturbance of Ospreys at Llyn Brenig .
    At this stage, no criminal offences have been identified however we will remain in contact with our partner agencies and monitor this closely including Welsh Water"