LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

------------------------------------------

1st Egg Laid - 19.04.20 @ 17.59 - Hatched 26.05.20 @ 10.25 hrs

2nd Egg Laid - 22.04.20 @ 12.03 - Hatched 28.05.20 @ 0600 hrs

3rd Egg Laid - 25.04.20 @ 08.50 - Hatched 30.05.20 @ before 0700 hrs

ALL 3 CHICKS WERE RINGED ON 4TH JULY - ALL BELIEVED TO BE MALE - RING NUMBERS 550, 551 AND 552

WHEN POSTING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM THE CLYWEDOG NEST CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LOGO

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

• Very sad indeed but pre-dates the C5 filming apparently
  • There was preparation work prior to the filming though

Many questions being raised in the comments section of the Fb post, hope they can be answered

• Cathy the film people are not really to blame , they asked for permission to be there and were given it , so the blame lays with Llyn Brenig or NRW or whoever gave that permission , I am sure the people filming didnt even know when they set up what a osprey was although perhaps they do now . Blame lies with the people that gave them permission although like you I certainly wont be watching the programme . We certainly have lots of questions that need answering , one thing I am sure of is that if filming had not started when it did at a crucial time in a young ospreys life she would not have been wandering far from that nest , as we know chicks are always around the parents waiting for the next meal . Hopefully we get answers but I have a terrible fear we may not in view of many lies in the past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie

• Valerie D said:
    I certainly wont be watching the programme

I've just set the first episode to record from Channel4 tonight - hoping to get a good view of the area.

I do agree with you about where the blame likes, Valierie Frowning2 

IMAGICAT

• Scylla in fact I take back my comment saying I wont watch :) , perhaps we should all watch and see if there is any information we could use as evidence !!! , I love Llyn Brenig area , I always thought a wonderful place for ospreys but !!!

Valerie

• This is the link to the programme perhaps you should all watch it www.channel4.com/.../the-bridge , think of all the wildlife not just the ospreys !!!! flares set off day and night from a flashing beaconed tower !!!! trees cut down etc etc , the noise must have been horrific day and night . It is a wonder the ospreys stayed around as long as they did . Just unbelievable that this was allowed to happen , as I say no way do I hold the TV company responsible it is down to Llyn Brenig and Welsh Water , I see a comment made that somewhere between £10000 and £20000 was paid - as they say money talks -

Valerie

• UNbelievable and disgusting Bad enough all the animals scared and disturbed but cutting down trees permanently alters the habitat I don't understand why Welsh Water/Llyn Brenig can;t be charged with a wildlife crime
  • The organisation probably most fault here is in my view Welsh Water who thought that a150m exclusion zone around the nest was enough. NRW were only consulted very late in the day and NWWT not at all before the preparations started. The police and CPS do have a very difficult challenge; they have to have evidence of an offence which proves it beyond all reasonable doubt to gain a conviction. The circumstances around the discovery of KC5's remains gives a defence barrister enough opportunity to cast doubt. Either the production company or Welsh Water, if charged, would have big enough pockets to hire the sort of lawyers to get them off. Sorry if this is not what people want to hear, but it is how see it. I can't remember if the Wildlife and Countryside Act has provision to charge a company; if the charges would have to be laid against one or more individuals it gets even harder.

• AG, Sadly, it does look like there may be enough wiggle room for those responsible to avoid any blame. Whether or not the Ospreys return to Llyn Brenig, the whole thing may mean that there will be an unfortunate added strain in relations between many individuals and organisations for some time to come. The world (and the world of conservation!) do not need any more division than we already have.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    The organisation probably most fault here is in my view Welsh Water who thought that a150m exclusion zone around the nest was enough.

A 150m exclusion zone is probably enough for normal activity in the area but not for this kind of disturbance.  It would be like having a rave at the end of the street.

Hilary J