LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

------------------------------------------

1st Egg Laid - 19.04.20 @ 17.59 - Hatched 26.05.20 @ 10.25 hrs

2nd Egg Laid - 22.04.20 @ 12.03 - Hatched 28.05.20 @ 0600 hrs

3rd Egg Laid - 25.04.20 @ 08.50 - Hatched 30.05.20 @ before 0700 hrs

ALL 3 CHICKS WERE RINGED ON 4TH JULY - ALL BELIEVED TO BE MALE - RING NUMBERS 550, 551 AND 552

WHEN POSTING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM THE CLYWEDOG NEST CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LOGO

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

• Llyn Brenig   I am waiting for permission to copy over a report, but at last, all three have been seen today - all together in neighbouring trees. Whew. But clearly they have been disturbed and are still not using the nest as a feeding station.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• An update, today, from North Wales Wildlife Trust

Update 26/08/20

North Wales Wildlife Trust

Ospreys at Llyn Brenig

Following the reports of filming and associated activities at Llyn Brenig and the potential disturbance to the ospreys, we now understand that an officer from North Wales Police’s Rural Crimes Team has visited the site.

We further understand that, following liaison with Dwr Cymru Welsh Water and the production company involved, the police are of the opinion that there is no indication of a criminal offence having been committed and that a range of measures are in place to monitor any impact on the ospreys.  

We will continue to work in conjunction with the Rural Crimes Team and all other relevant agencies to ensure that the birds receive full protection, and continue to gather our own evidence to inform our own conclusions.

We will make a statement on this in due course.  Please be assured that this remains an important issue for us. We would also like to make clear that we were not asked to assess the potential impact on the ospreys of any of the activities linked to the filming in advance of the works taking place: or, indeed, told that the works were due to take place at all.

As and when we are able to, we will continue to issue further updates on the ospreys as they prepare for their long migration south. 

At present, the birds appear to have re-located to the other side of the lake – hopefully to be able to feed their chick and give her the best possible chance of survival.  Recently, our staff have only observed two ospreys, seen on different occasions flying over the far side of the lake.

On 24/08/20, others reported three ospreys being seen – but as yet it seems that only two, Blue 24 and HR7 (the adults), have been identified with certainty.

• I have permission to quote Darren Moore's report, with much relief all round!  My highlights

26 August  14.03

Welsh Osprey to Friends of Llyn Brenig Osprey Project

KC5 is no longer missing,

After visiting Brenig lake this morning, we are quite confident that the third Osprey is KC5

Viewing the behaviour of all three Ospreys, when we got to the location first thing this morning, there were only two birds showing.  After an hour or so, John Roberts spotted the third sitting on a dead tree some distance away.  As we drove along the road we could see the bird, but was far away.  By the time we had got to where we think we could have viewed it from, it had already flown away.  As we made our way back to the other two birds a bit disappointed we never got an ID on the Osprey in the dead tree, setting up the scope and looking through, all three Ospreys was in view, no cuddles or hugs had taken place ( social distancing and all that ).  What a relief it was.  Thanks Tony Pope and John Roberts

We should not take away the fact that this nest has been disturbed, and a crime has been committed by a film crew and Channel 4, and the Ospreys have been forced to the opposite side of the lake – away from their natural feeding station

• Sheila/all delighted to say there is a report on the LB fb page that KC5 has been seen being fed by parents today in a tree on the other side of the lake. So now Welsh Water/TV production company have to leave behind the ludicrous assertion that she had migrated 2nd week in August. NWWT have a case to put to North Wales Police that a dependent schedule 1 juvenile has been disturbed from its nest. This could get interesting.

• It could indeed, AG.  I certainly hope they do follow it up, although I am very surprised the police weren't bothered.

I thought the photo, included in the post, had come over on a copy and paste, but clearly not.  Herewith, with all three, if you look closely!  In a loose diagonal line dropping left to right

• Sheila, the last police statement said they had no evidence of a crime at that stage but were were monitoring the situation closely. They are going to be made very aware that statements they had from the production company/Welsh Water that the juvie might have migrated are unfounded.
  • Thanks, everyone, for the information. As far as I'm concerned, a crime has been committed and those responsible should be held to account, but I predict a certain amount of buck passing. We shall see...

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Sheila, the last police statement said they had no evidence of a crime at that stage but were were monitoring the situation closely. They are going to be made very aware that statements they had from the production company/Welsh Water that the juvie might have migrated are unfounded.

And of course we all know that 'might' is not proof!

• Thanks everyone for the info. After watching the Wildlife Police Officer, who answered questions, etc with Heather at Glaslyn, earlier this month (or was it last), I felt protection of wildlife was been taken seriously, now, I'm not so sure. This is such a breach in the law, as I understand it.
  • Thanks SHEILA and everybody What a relief that KC5 is safe and back with B24 and HR7 Not very impressed with the police officer who thought no crime had been committed. I thought disturbance was acrime even if accidental