LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

------------------------------------------

1st Egg Laid - 19.04.20 @ 17.59 - Hatched 26.05.20 @ 10.25 hrs

2nd Egg Laid - 22.04.20 @ 12.03 - Hatched 28.05.20 @ 0600 hrs

3rd Egg Laid - 25.04.20 @ 08.50 - Hatched 30.05.20 @ before 0700 hrs

ALL 3 CHICKS WERE RINGED ON 4TH JULY - ALL BELIEVED TO BE MALE - RING NUMBERS 550, 551 AND 552

WHEN POSTING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM THE CLYWEDOG NEST CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LOGO

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

• 11.55 Big rainbow trout delivered
  • I didn't start up until 08:00 and got 2h20m before the stream dropped out.  That clip is terrible quality and very small - here's Dylan with a stick:

It didn't start up again until 11:02, better quality, full size, but glitchy.

JillR said:
    11.55 Big rainbow trout delivered

Got a good view of the trout - which Seren seemed to have a bit of difficulty controlling but I couldn't see it flapping:

All 3 chicks retired, sated... but she was still feeding them when I looked in a minute or so ago :) 

• Good reporting AG, thank you.

Nice captures under difficult circumstances Scylla, well done and thank you

Thank you Cathy and Jill for posting important observations
  • scylla said:
    All 3 chicks retired, sated... but she was still feeding them when I looked in a minute or so ago

After stuffing the chicks she finished the fish herself - my fave tail polishing-off was glitched out but I had to celebrate what there was:

That was a big fish, they were all very ready for it, especially Seren!

Then she went and brought in a clump that required quite a bit of spreading:

There must be a good rail at this end, just as well, or their crops might tip them over Open mouth

Guess what was moving in the sky?

Yes!

Someone wasn't a bit interested!

Then, because scrolling fast causes one to miss bits, I nearly had a blue fit when the rail chick had disappeared - but in fact it was at the feeding station and it and a sib were covering another sib:

Seren was still feeding one of the chicks at least, and herself, when Dylan took the fish from her - what was left of it, just the tail-end:

Ten minutes later he returned and unearthed another tailend that was completely buried in "straw":

This must have been the same piece he brought back and ate some of, then left it on the nest:

"3 osplets with tongues" - and while they were posing, Seren was eating that little bit of fish Dylan had left behind:

Just shows how deceiving different views can be - this had looked headless on the way down:

At 17:40 Seren appeared to have finished with the fish and Dylan came in to collect it... but she took it back from him - it took him 2 tries to get it back again and he flew off with it.  He took this much:

Seren sat down with her children, a charming sight:

5 minutes later Dylan brought the fish back but she didn't make a move so he took it away again.

There may have been an intruder alert - Seren flew off and around, tho I can't swear that this is she - she brought back a stick - not the one that's sticking up from the nest but a much smaller one:

At close (later than usual), Seren was tucking into fishtail:

• Trout at 8.50, 12.20 and 3.16. 5F/Seren finding protecting all 3 from the occasional rain quite a challenge. Intruder 15.07 not seen clearly - may have landed on the perch.

• The Dyfi update from Ems reports that there is currently only one live chick at Llyn Brenig - story on fb group one may have died and one predated? No confrmation of this and no more info to be found.

•  Seren had been watchful at startup and did a fly-off once, but no other indication of an intruder at that stage.  She spent her time mostly preening and standing serenely, waiting, with at least one sortie for nest material:

Unknown said:

Trout at 8.50, 12.20 and 3.16. 5F/Seren finding protecting all 3 from the occasional rain quite a challenge. Intruder 15.07 not seen clearly - may have landed on the perch.

There was also an intruder at this time:

Only glimpsed for certain once - the second time, arrowed top-left in the video, could have been Dylan of course:

Included just because it's a better snap of our two parents:

https://youtu.be/9GgdtwldaA4

They didn't all feed at the same time, with toings 'n froings - but they all ended up in a comatose knot puzzle:

The chick was quite blahzay when landed on by Dylan with stick (he was actually standing on it but that was blurred):

This was the twiggy end of a very long stick that Seren tussled with:

10:45 Dylan was in to defend (not plump-cropped).  I didn't spot the intruder but haven't got time to watch @ 1x speed!

Seren with combined clump/stick @ 11:57:

12:20 whole fish:

This paltry tailend went to 'n fro between them on the nest but Dylan failed to secure it and Seren continued to feed the chicks:

Seren protecting, watchful at the same time:

Just as well!  This was a very animated defence but an unblurred view has been selected:

Glad to see that Dylan had his share first:

Dylan got no more of that one:

Perch for tea:

Dylan not seen again for the online day, which has been a good day for all (intrusions excepted) - and I didn't perceive the rain which AG observed live.

• Thank you, MARY :-* I feel fortunate that Blue24 has one chick, anyway.
  • Fish today at 11.01 a.m. 2.27 p.m. and 5.24 p.m. Dylan left to catch the 5.24 delivery at 5.21; can't get much fresher than that!