Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 March 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a good week and stays healthy. Sending you all protective energy!

• My post disappeared as well. Best wishes to all.
  • Hey, folks. I'll be back later to make some replies, but I wanted to pass along this link from Prophetstown State Park, an Indiana State Park on the northern prairie near Lafayette where I grew up. The park and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources have been offering classes on nature to small children (generally ages 3 through 5 or 6). Because of the virus, they are offering this week's class online, and the subject is BIRDS.

I was very impressed with the ranger naturalist. If you have small children among your family or friends, I highly recommend sharing the link. It's free (no one is selling anything or asking for donations). The video is about 16 minutes: HERE  I thought maybe some folks with grandchildren bored by the isolation due to the virus might want to pass the link along. It's a really fun look at northern U.S. birds. Click to turn on the sound.

(About the park name: Tecumseh was a great leader of the Shawnee tribe in the late 1700s and early 1800s. The state park is named for Tecumseh's brother, who was called "The Prophet." His real name was Tenskwatawa. In that era, Tecumseh and his brother formed a vast confederation of Native American tribes across the Indiana prairie.) 

Edit: If the link doesn't work for you, try this one: 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/prophetstownsp/

• Thanks for the link, Diane.

Another busy day: spent hours on the phone, followed by an hour going through my 394 emails to prune them down to less than 50 which I felt obliged to read. Then replied to about 6 of them. One email took half an hour to write. My OH has mowed the lawn and watered all the pots in the garden.
  • Broke off in case my post doesn't post, after the above experiences.

Youngest is now working from home permanently. He has a small room they call the study, to lock himself away to work whilst his other half gets to grips with a small, teething baby, and two lively youngsters who need home schooling.

Sis in law Sue has a handy nearby nature reserve so is taking long walks there to keep sane. I keep messaging her & we compare notes. I wrote to our local dairy asking for help with milk & egg delivery but haven't heard from them yet.

I hope you're all keeping well. My OH seems to have finally stopped coughing, so the vitamin D of the sunshine must have helped.

Annette, my jaw is by my ankles at the news of your OH sorting some of his book collection out: I remember your saying that he was very attached to them.
  • Forgive me as I have sinned ( again )...
    Did 2 walks as younger OH is still working from home as he had done for 19 years and by reliable dog walker has gone into lockdown . My dogs are 28 and 32 Kg so with amount of fair game about ( deer etc) I walk them alone. Hope the rabbit with the mobile phone didn’t dob me in :-)))
  • WENDY - you made me chuckle, not easy these days!
    Like LINDY I've had (another) busy phone day. Son decided to clear out his garage, first day at home and he was trying not to think too deeply about other things. Bella was trying to be helpful and that is all we will say about that....
    My brother tells me that President Macron has now decreed that folk can only spend one hour out and about. Brother's supermarket is 20 mins drive away so he will have to run around it. My brother is indeed over 70 but even in his younger years only had two speeds - dead slow and stop.
    Looks as if my grass cutting man ( as,ANNETTE says, mow, blow and go) will not be visiting. I will have to retrieve my flymo from middle daughter. She will have to use her petrol mower, which she finds hard to manage. Or I will buy another Flymo :-)
    Thank you, DIANE, for the links!
    Keep safe, everyone x
  • I aim to please Heather in these stressful time...
  • OMD Asda came up trumps today only 4 substitutions and 2 returns..... result x
  • Wendy - I am expecting an Asda delivery tomorrow. At the moment more than half my order appears as 'not available' - but let's wait and see what arrives. I'm craving fresh meat, chicken, fruit and vegetables. I don't do frozen food or ready meals …
  • Doing stuff all day, now late getting on here. Morning spent allocating all freezer items to specific days. Afternoon spent in the garden - giving advice to OH who tidied the perennials bed - everything coming along so fast now. Been booked to advise on Geraniums and Fuchsias in the greenhouse tomorrow - think he'll have to bring them out to me one at a time! Came to the computer after dinner and found so many emails - some are useful, but have left them for a proper look in the morning! Will have to try to make some replies on here tomorrow, too -getting tired now!